Moonsighting for Shawwal 1435
MakkahCalendar.org - Eid al-Fitr
(Note that this is an Independent Web Site)
Old Crescent Moon (not the new moon to start Shawwal 1435 AH), July 26, 2014 (Photo on the right): This is decreasing moon that was sighted in the East at Fajr time on Saturday 26 July 2014 at 06:40 to 07:00 AM in Flat Bush suburb in Auckland New Zealand by naked eye. This is not the moon to start Shawwal. It was reported by an MCW member, Mr. Arief Syamsulaksana. It is posted here to show the world that the moon seen in the morning before sunrise is actually decreasing moon while the New Moon is not even born yet. So Muslims understand that the sighting of decreasing moon has no significance for starting the Islamic month.
The Astronomical New Moon is on Saturday July 26, 2014 at 22:42 UT. There is no possibility of moonsighting on that day. On July 27, the moon can be seen with difficulty in South America, but can easily be seen in Polynesian Islands. However, there are not many Muslims reporting moonsighting. On July 28, the moon can easily be seen in almost the whole world, except Northern Asia and Europe (See visibility curves).
The earliest reported sighting is from Iquique, Chile on July 27, 2014. To find details Click Here.
Saturday, 26 July 2014:
Moon is not possible to be seen anywhere in the world.
- Not Seen: Kareem Isa (MCW member) from Abuja Kado estate mosque area reported:
It is Ramadan 29 today in Nigeria and July 26. It was partly cloudy, and I tried from 19:00 to 19:20 local time.
THE SUPREME COUNCIL OF ISLAMIC AFFAIRS IN NIGERIA HAS BEEN TRYING FOR MANY YEARS SINCE THE NEW SULTAN SAAD AND PROF ISHAQ SECRETARY CAME ON BOARD TO BASE THE DECISION ON SIGHTING.
Sunday, 27 July 2014:
Moon is not expected to be seen in almost the whole world except with difficulty in South America, and with ease in Polynesian Islands, where there are not many Muslims reporting moonsighting. There is small possibility in South Africa but only experienced observers may see it.
- Not Seen: Jamal Mimouni from Algeria reported:
Algeria officially announced the Eid for Monday, July 28th, but in a very special way. After mentioning implicitly that the crescent was nowhere seen in the various regions of Algeria, it invoked its observation in countries where "it was scientifically possible to see it", as the basis for its closing the Ramadhan month tonight, thus excluding implicitly its claimed observation in Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries as it was as documented at length its impossibility. It further emphasized the principle of Tawhid al_Matali (One horizon) as the adopted methodology. Yet it didn't mention which are the countries it considered (South Africa, South America...).
The presence of the CRAAG representative (Algiers Observatory and a consultative body in the National Crescent Committee) when the official communiqué was read who forcefully explain in their press release the impossibility of seeing the crescent in Algeria and all the Arab countries tonight (27th of July), argues for this interpretation.
With this acrobatic twist, Algeria is able to please everybody, or almost. Yet the official posture is not free of contradictions, but we won't go into those considerations the night of the Eid.
- Seen: Dr. Muhammad Hafiz (MCW member) reported sightings in Buenos Aires, Argentina:
Br. Fuad Musa from Santiago, Chile reported his group tried to observe the Hilaal for Shawwal 1435 AH on July 27 in Northern Chile but was not successful.
Br. Fuad Musa stated the Hilaal was observed in Argentina by four Muslims whose sighting on July 27 was confirmed by the Sheikh in Buenos Aires. I contacted Sheikh Faizal Marjel in Buenos Aires and he stated the 4 Muslims are from his Masjid who fasted the month of Ramadan and are trust worthy. He spoke to the four of them personally about the positive Hilaal sighting for Shawwal 1435 AH and he is satisfied. He stated in addition to those four sighting from his community in Buenos Aires there were other reported sighting in Argentina from other Muslims. He stated other Masjids in Brazil and Paraguay that he has contact with, did not see the Hilaal thus they will be using the positive Hilaal sighting from Argentina for their Eid Ul Fitir celebration tomorrow.
- Not Seen: Abbas Aly (MCW member) from Annangrove NSW reported:
DATE OF SIGHTING EFFORT: 27th July 2014
LOCATION OF SIGHTING: Annangrove / NSW / Australia
SKY CONDITIONS: Partly Cloudy - but OK for viewing
TIME OF SIGHTING EFFORT: 5.15 PM - 5.50 PM
NO. OF PEOPLE WHO SAW OR TRIED: Myself
FIRST DAY OF THE MONTH: we will complete 30 days - with Eid on Tuesday
- Not Seen: Abul Qasim Rizvi, Imam Panjtan Society of Victoria (MCW member) from Caroline Springs, VIC reported:
Many people tried today, July 27, between 5:12 to 5:40 but moon not sighted. I'm in Sydney; sky was clear to sight; People tried in Melbourne also but not sighted; sky was cloudy. Insha-Allah tomorrow will be 30th Ramadhan. Tuesday, 29 July will be Eidul Fitr.
- Not Seen: Engr Manzoor A Mian (MCW member) from Melbourne, VIC reported:
The crescent was NOT sighted in Melbourne and anywhere in Australia this evening 27/7/14 therefore the 1st day of Shawwal and 'Eid ul-Fitr is Tuesday, the 29th of July 2014.
- Not Seen: Dr. Shabbir Ahmed (MCW member) Imam of Rooty Hill Mosque Sydney, NSW reported:
On Sunday, 27th July 2014, moon was not seen in Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Melbourne, Alice Spring, Darwin and Perth – Australia.
Skies were clear in many states. In Sydney we tried from 5:12pm to 5:36pm. FIRST DAY OF THE MONTH: Tuesday, 29th July 2014
- Not Seen: Mohammed Patel (MCW member) from Bridgetown reported:
Sighting effort took place on Sunday 27th July 2014. Partly cloudy skies. Sunset : 6:27pm Moonset : 6:55 pm. There was an approx. 25 minute window to sight the moon but it was still not sighted. 1st Shawwal will be on Tuesday 29th, 2014.
- Not Seen: Dr. Mohammed Hussain Ahmad (MCW member) from Brunei Darussalam reported:
The new moon was not sighted from Brunei (4° 55' North and 114° 55' East) on the evening of Sunday, 27 July 2014. This was officially announced through the Brunei National TV and Radio stations. Therefore, tomorrow, Monday, 28 July 2014 is the completion of 30 days for the month of Ramadan in Brunei. Hence, the 1st of Shawwal 1435 will commence on Tuesday, 29 JUly 2014.
- Seen: Muhammad Sohail (MCW member) from Iquique reported:
In Iquique Chile we tried to see the moon on Sunday 27/07/2014.
In four gruops of four people each tried to observe the moon but only one group of four saw the moon and on shahadat of this group (of four men), it was decided to have Eid on Monday, July 28. In my group we started observing at 18:30 upto 19:05. Sky was well clear, but unfortunatlly we couldn't see the moon in our group.
- Not Seen: Dr. Musa·Minhai (MCW member) from Linxia Gansu Province reported:
On sunday 27 July, I did not go to see the cresent, becouse I was in a travel from Beijing to Linxia city, but I have received a report about the cresent seen in YUNNAN province (I think it is not true). So most Ulemaa' made a FATWA to that for Unity in the world Monday 28 July is first day of Shawaal 1435. Some muslim in China have decided that Eid is on Tuesday, July 29, 2014 (completing 30 days).
- Fiji Islands:
- Not Seen: Muhammed Shamim Ali, Fiji Muslim League, reported:
On July 27 moon was not seen and official decision is that Eid is on Tuesday, July 29, 2014.
- Not Seen: Yussif Fuseini (MCW member) from Tamale reported:
There was no sighting in Tamale Ghana.
From James Cook University, School Of Earth and Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management
- Not Seen: Baba Abdulai (MCW member) from Tamale reported:
SEEN OR NOT SEEN: Not Seen (Naked eye)
DATE OF SIGHTING EFFORT: Sunday, 27 July 2014
LOCATION OF SIGHTING: Tamale/Northern Region/Ghana
SKY CONDITIONS: Hazy (very few clouds)
TIME OF SIGHTING EFFORT: about 6:25 PM to 6:53 PM
NO. OF PEOPLE WHO SAW OR TRIED: Myself
REMARKS: I arrived at the sighting post before sunset. Sighting community (Kukuo-Yapalsi, near Bi-Water Resevoir) has one of the highest altitudes in Tamale (about 220 metres above sea level). My improvised sighting post is about 6 metres tall and gave me a very clear view of the western horizon around where the sun set. Yet I did not see any moon.
- Not Seen: but Seen by others in Buenos Aires, ArgentinaDr. Muhammad Hafiz (MCW member) from Rose Hall Town, Berbice reported:
The members of Rose Hall Town Masjid, Guyana tried to observe the Hilaal on Sunday, 27th July, 2014 for Shawwal 1435 AH after sunset. Observation was made impossible due to clouds on the Horizon.
Br. Fuad Musa from Santiago, Chile reported his group tried to observe the Hilaal for Shawwal 1435 AH in the North of Chile but was not successful.
Br. Fuad Musa stated the Hilaal was observed in Argentina by four Muslims whose sighting was confirmed by the Sheikh in Buenos Aires. I contacted Sheikh Faizal Marjel in Buenos Aires and he stated the 4 Muslims are from his Masjid who fasted the month of Ramadan and are trust worthy. He spoke to the four of them personally about the positive Hilaal sighting for Shawwal 1435 AH and he is satisfied. He stated in addition to those four sighting from his community in Buenos Aires there were other reported sighting in Argentina from other Muslims. He stated other Masjids in Brazil and Paraguay that he has contact with, did not see the Hilaal thus they will be using the positive Hilaal sighting from Argentina for their Eid Ul Fitir celebration tomorrow.
Eid Mubarrak to all. May Allah (SWT) accept our fast and grant strength and patience to Muslim suffering throughout the world, Ameen.
- Seen: Haseeb Khan from the Guyana Islamic Trust from Georgetown reported:
On 27th of July, 2014, the moon was sighted on the Essequibo Coast of Guyana at approximate coordinates 7.01N 58.49W at aprox. 6:29 p.m. The direction of the moon was towards the Savannahs with a clear view of the horizon, no trees in the way and no houses and lights in that direction. The sky was also cloudless in that direction. The moon was seen just over the line of the horizon, a little to the left of where the sun set. Among the brothers who saw the moon was one who is affiliated with the Guyana Islamic Trust and who is a practicing, reliable muslim.
- Not Seen: Nida-e-Haram (Siddik Nadvi, MCW member) from Ahmedabad, Gujrat reported:
DATE OF SIGHTING EFFORT:Sunday, 27th July 2014 (28th Ramdan 1435 Hijri)
LOCATION OF SIGHTING: Institute JAMIA KANZUL ULOOM Khanajahan Masjid
TIME OF SIGHTING EFFORT: 7.20 pm to 7.40 pm
- Not Seen: AR Sugeng Riyadi (MCW member) from Assalaam Observatory, Surakarta Central Java reported:
DATE OF SIGHTING EFFORT: 27th July 2014
LOCATION OF SIGHTING: Assalaam Observatory, Sukoharjo-Surakarta Indonesia
SKY CONDITION: Clear with thin cloud
TIME OF SIGHTING EFFORT: 05:00-05:45 PM
NO. OF PEOPLE WHO TRIED: 75 Moslem
FIRST OF DAY OF THE MONTH: Based on calculations it is 28th JULY 2014 (alt>2•, elong>3•, age>8hour). The Ministry of Religion on Itsbat declared that the 1st of Shawwal 1435 AH in Indonesia will be on Monday, 28 July 2014.
- Not Seen (BY NAKED EYE OR TELESCOPE): Semesta Hadi Racana from Bali reported:
DATE OF SIGHTING: 27 July 2014
LOCATION OF SIGHTING: Patra Beach, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
SKY CONDITIONS: Fairly clear, in my experience, sky conditions should be ideal for sighting by naked eye or telescope. Near-horizon clouds were present.
NO. OF PEOPLE: More than 20 - Myself, son Umar Adjie and around 18 telescope sighters from the goverment (dept of religious affairs)
FIRST DAY OF THE MONTH: For Naked Eye, Ied (1 Shawwal) will be 29 July 2014 (add one more day). However, Indonesian official govt date, most possibly will be 28 July 2014 (by mashura-consultation, based on MABIMS Criterion).
- Not Seen: Ali Mohamed (MCW member) from Mombasa reported:
DATE OF SIGHTING EFFORT: Sunday, 27 July 2014
LOCATION OF SIGHTING: Likoni, Mombasa County, Kenya.
SKY CONDITIONS: Clear.
TIME OF SIGHTING EFFORT: Not sure.
NO. OF PEOPLE WHO SAW OR TRIED: Three
ORIENTATION OF CRESCENT HORNS: Not Sure
REMARKS: However, The Chief Kadhi of Kenya, Majlis Ulama'a Of Kenya and Kenya moonsighting group has declared to Celebrate Eid on Monday, 28 July 2014 after 3 people take swearing that Moon was sighted at Likoni area.
- Not Seen: Firdaus Mazlan (MCW member) from Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia reported:
I did not see the moon on Sunday, 27 / 7 / 2014. Weather was cloudy. I, Mr. Muhd Haidas Hamizan bin Mohamad Hasni, Mr. Muhammad Zainal Abiden bin Mohamad Hani, Mr. Razmi. Mr. Muhammad Zulfahdli bin Ramli, around 10 people, and around 20 government officer tried from 7.26 pm until 7.41 pm. However, Eid is declared on Monday, 28 / 7 / 2014 (Government Announcement), because Malaysia Criteria of calculations.
- From our members, another Rukyat places in Malaysia also give negative sighthing report, examples Baitul Hilal Pontian, Baitul Hilal Kuching, and Baitul Hilal Melaka. So, only very small minority of Malaysia people will be fasting tomorrow, on Monday (28 / 7 / 2014) equal to 30 Ramadhan 1435 H.
- Muslim people in Yala, Naratthiwat, Nakkhon Sittam Marrat and Pattani (Thailand) also claim that the Hilal has been SEEN with naked eye at 6.25 pm (Thailand’s clock). They said that their sunset is also 6.25 pm (Thailand’s clock). Almost all Alim Ulama from Madrasah Tradisional (Pondok Pesantren) in Malaysia and also Jamaah Darul Masyarik Lubnan (Ahbash) in Malaysia, have BELIEVE them and received their report. They also REJECTED nas and ibarah Bughyatul Murtasyidin Lil Hadramiy (Fiqh Syafi^iyyah Book), which mention that every Islamic Judge in the Islamic Country must know Ilmu Falak for judge the claims of hilal sighthing is right or wrong. The book also said that, most of Islamic Judgement in Yaman is their time doesn’t know Ilmu Falaks. That why, the Islamic Jugment have received all the claim of sighthing report, even the sighthing is contradiction with Ilmu Falaks or Sunnatullah or Hukum Adat.
- The Thailand’s Muslim and almost all Alim Ulama from Madrasah Tradisional (Pondok Pesantren) have believed that the claimed of sighthing report is higher than Ilmu Falak. And, they deliberately forget about Sunnatullah in Al-Quran and Hukum Adat in Tauhid Book in Asya^irah. So, we call it “Ta^assub” and “Blind Taqlid.”
- We DONT BELIEVE them because they always missunderstanding about the Science of Hilal (Ilmu Falak). At past, even the Hilal at 0 degree, they BELIEVE it can be sighted.. They said ; “Allah can created everything with His power, even it contradiction with Sunnatullah or Ilmu Falak..... Ilmu Falak is only Hukum Adat... Allah can change it every time when He want....”. So, we tried to advice and convinced them to follow the astronomi knowledge. But, they never believe us even we told them about “Crescent Moon Visibility” picture.. We already tired to advice them because no one want to believes us, even sometimes we have clash with them.
- Muslim people in Indonesia also have same problem. Not all, but almost of Alim Ulama in Madrasah Tradisional (Pondok Pesantren) have the same problem. The Indonesia authority also have received 3 report from their sighthing group (111 group)... The Islamic Minister of Indonesia, Mr. Lukman Hakim Saifuddin had BELIEVED and RECEIVED the report of claimed sighthing. First report is from Gresik (Jawa Timur), the second from Pelabuhan Ratu Sukabumi (Jawa Barat) and the third from Kolaka (Sulawesi Selatan). So, Indonesia authority had declared that Idul Fitri will be held on Monday (28/7/2014) and they claim by SIGHTHING with naked eye. The reason is SAME like Alim Ulama in Madrasah Tradisional (Pondok Pesantren) in Malaysia and Thailand. The source of claimed sighthing report you can see here : http://www.antaranews.com/berita/446017/menag-lebaran-jatuh-pada-28-juli-2014
- The conclusion is, We DONT BELIEVE THEM ALL or we call it “Syahadah Mardudah”. This thing happen every year, and has been already happened too long.
- Not Seen: Nissar Ahmad Ramtoola (MCW member) from Port Louis reported:
The moon of Shawwal was NOT SEEN in Mauritius on Sunday 27 July 2014 hence Monday 28 July will be 30th Ramadan 1435 ad Eid Ul Fitr will be celebrated Insha Allah on Tuesday 29 July 2014 in Mauritius.
Members of Jummah Masjid Hilal Committee were posted in different strategic localities, Pointe aux Piments, Piton, Baie Du Tombeau, Bain Des Dames, Albion, Bagatelle, P-Louis (Citadelle and Newton Tower).
Sunset was at 17hr51 and Moonset at 18hr21. Sky was mostly cloudy over the Island with some openings around 2-3 degrees high over the Horizon.
- Not Seen: Ehsan H. Hajar (MCW member) from Casablanca reported:
Regret to relay that habous gov.ma has announced not seeing the new crescent, and has accordingly declared completion of thirty day for Ramadan. Therefor Eid is on Tuesday July 29.
- Not Seen: Khalid Chraibi (MCW member) from Casablanca reported:
I wish to inform you that the Moroccan authorities have announced that the new moon wasn't observed this evening. The 1st of shawwal will therefore correspond to Tuesday July 29, 2014. I am pleased to present you with my best wishes on this occasion.
- New Zealand:
- Not Seen: Wajid Hussain from Palmerston North reported:
The Federation of Islamic Associations of New Zealand (FIANZ) has announced that the moon for the month of Shawal has NOT been sighted today so Eid ul Fitre will be on Tuesday 29 July 2014.
- Not Seen: Arief Syamsulaksana (MCW member) from from the suburb of Flat Bush in Auckland reported:
Arief Syamsulaksana reported that today, July 27 that the sun sets at 17:34 (GMT +12), observation was done from 17:20 to 18:00. Hilal can NOT be seen even though it was fine and western horizon sky was clear.
- Not Seen: Habibur Rahman Farooqui from Oman reported:
Shawal Crescent has not been sighted in Oman on 27.07.2014. So 28.07.2014 will be the 30th Ramadan 1435.
Eid will be celebrated on 29.07.2014 in Oman. It is an official announcement by moon sighting commitee of Oman.
- Polynesian Islands:
- Seen: Makkahcalendar.org reported:
Naked eye sighting
How many persons? : Two people (two separate photos)
Name of the Photographers : Eric Gauducheau and Francisca Yang
Location of the observer : Mahina, French Polynesia ( Long: 149°2'31.7'' W : Lat: 17°3' 39.7'' S - altitude 600m )
Condition of the western Sky : A little cloudy
Time and date of first sighting of the crescent moon : 27/07/2014 - 18 h 19
Orientation of the "horns": horizontal position
- Seen with Binoculars, Photo taken by telephoto lens 300 mm: Makkahcalendar.org reported:
How many persons? : Alone
Name of the Photographers : Santallo Roland
Location of the observer : Faaa, Tahiti , French Polynesia ( Long: 149°35'15.93'' W : Lat: 17°33'4.91'' S - 100m )
Condition of the western Sky : Clear , 70%
Time and date with day of the week of local sunset : 27/07/2014 - 17 h 44
Time and date of first sighting of the crescent moon : 27/07/2014 - 18 h 10
Time of last sighting of the crescent moon : 27/07/2014 18 h 30 (cloudy)
Approximate "height" in degrees of the crescent moon above the local horizon : El 3°: 22': 45" AZ 282°: 52' 08" at the time of picture
Approximate horizontal distance in degrees of the crescent moon from the Sun : 4°: 14'
Orientation of each of the "horns": 3 to 7 O'clock
- Announced: Muhammad Imran Paracha (MCW member) from Doha reported:
Ministry of Awqaf Religious Affairs - Qatar had announced that Monday July 28, 2014 shall be Eid Al Fitr. They have not mentioned any sighting report or whether this decision is based on the Saudi announcement.
- Saudi Arabia:
- Not Seen: Sheik A.A. Ishola (MCW member) from Makkah reported:
Alihamudulilahi I was at the AlBayrouny Observatory in Mecca this evening accompanied with Ustaz Saheed Ganiyu Daramola and Engr. Nasiru Oluyemo the Moon was not seen due to total cloud.
And before we left the place we got the information that it has been seen in Sudair (near Riyadh) and Shaqra (near Riyadh).
Comment by Moonsighting.com: Sunset in Sudair, Saudi Arabia was at 6:40 pm, while moonset was at 6:49 pm; So, it is clear to us that moon cannot be seen in 9 minutes. What they saw could not be the moon.
- Announced: Najeeb Qasmi from Saudi Arabia reported:
In Saudi Arabia Eid will be celebrated tomorrow, Monday 28 July 2014 as the Saudi Court has announced that the crescent of Eid has been sighted - No info of sighting was provided.
- South Africa:
- Not Seen: Dr. Husain Sayanvala (MCW member) from Johannesburg reported:
DATE OF SIGHTING EFFORT: Sunday 27 July 2014
LOCATION OF SIGHTING: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
SKY CONDITIONS: Clear skies
TIME OF SIGHTING EFFORT: 6:30pm
NO. OF PEOPLE WHO SAW OR TRIED: Myself, wife, and son
- Not Seen: Abdullah Salie (MCW member) from Cape Town reported:
DATE OF SIGHTING EFFORT: Friday, 27 July 2014
LOCATION OF SIGHTING: Lagoon Beach, Western Cape, South Africa. S33• 53.4585' E18•29.960'
SKY CONDITIONS: cloudy
TIME OF SIGHTING EFFORT: 18:25 - 18:45
NO. OF PEOPLE WHO SAW OR TRIED: two
- Seen: Mahmood (Bhaai) Cassim (MCW member) from Johannesburg reported:
On Sunday 27 July 2014, I and my 25 year old daughter saw the moonat 5:56 pm approximately
in Northcliff, Johannesburg. Weather was cold; Sky was clear, turning red near horizon.
At first it appeared as a star, with just a tiny dot visible. This gradually increased in intensity.
As we continued observing, the "star" spread sideways creating a line almost parallel to the horizon; and the view lasted for about two minutes. The position was to the left of where the sun had already set.
When my daughter reached out for her camera to take a photograph, we looked up and within a few seconds it had disappeared.
As we expressed our amazement, the same bright "line" suddenly reappeared but the intensity was about four times brighter, but this time lasted for just about four or five seconds. It was not an aeroplane as the position did not change.
Comment by Moonsighting.com: We have contacted all our MCW members in South Africa, and most of them reported that skies were clear and no sighting committe could see the moon, so this claim of sighting is questionable. If you do not believe moonsighting.com, read what our MCW member Dr Abdurrazak Ebrahim, a very experienced moon-sighter every month, has to say about such claims:
"I (Dr Abdurrazak Ebrahim from Cape Town), sincerely hope that the sighting report from Northcliff, Johannesburg is some sort of joke. It has no place in a discussion concerning the appearance of the Hilaal. And whoever accepts such a report as genuine has to have his head read. Such a person should be kept a far, far distance away from Hilaal sighting committees."
- Not Seen: Yusf Essack (MCW member) from KwaZulu/Natal reported:
In my province of Kwazulu/Natal (Durban) & surrounding there was no sighting, albeit very clear skies, and Cape Town, none of the areas had any sightings this evening. However in Johannesburg, there were five sighting and the UUCSA had to ensure the validating of each of the sighting and hence the confirmation of announcement only took place at close to 7:30pm, that tomorrow (28/07) will be Eid.
- Not Seen: Abe Parker (MCW member) from Cape Town reported:
Weather was: Some cloud. Tried to see from sunset 18.02 until moonset 18.45
Thousands people, Scores of ulemaa' and professional moonsighting group - No one sighted crescent
Many people are troubled by the sighting claim from Johannesburg further east and north that they had 26 claims of sighting.
Our ulemaa' and the moonsighting groups then conferred as per normal with other centres and we're informed of the claimed sighting; they were clearly unhappy but said on account of the purpose of unity they would accept the claimed sightings.
Some months ago we had a similar occurrence, everyone agreed no sighting was made then a few days thereafter the jamiat ulema from johannesburg said 2 persons had come forward a la saudia and swore they saw the crescent but kept quiet because they thought everyone saw it.
- Not Seen: Yasin Puertas (MCW member) from Melilla reported:
On July 27, the 29th of the Holy Month of Ramadan, the Moon was NOT SIGHTED from our location, therefore, we will wait for official announcement from Islamic Officials in the area to be declared.
- Announced: Gabriel Jairodín Riaza (MCW member) from Madrid reported:
The Union of Islamic Communities of Spain (ucide.org), Islamic Commission of Spain, announces that Monday, July 28, 2014, is the first day of Shawwal 1435 and Eid ul-Fitr.
- Sri Lanka:
- Not Seen: Haji Muhammad Suhail Omar (MCW member) from Colombo reported:
DATE OF SIGHTING EFFORT: Sunday 27th, July, 2014
LOCATION OF SIGHTING: Wellawatta, Colombo, Sri Lanka
SKY CONDITIONS: Heavily overcast with showers
TIME OF SIGHTING EFFORT: 6:44 p.m. local time
NO. OF PEOPLE WHO SAW OR TRIED: 4-5 persons.
REMARKS: Hilal was not sighted in Sri Lanka, Ramadan will be 30 days, hence 1st fast of Shawwal will be on Tuesday 29th June 2014.
- Not Seen: Nular Bary (MCW member) from Colombo reported:
Today 29th. of Ramadan1435H (27/07/2014) evening, All members of Colombo Grand Mosque Hilaal Committee, Sri Lanka jamiyathul Ulama, and Representatives of Muslim Religious & Cultural Affairs of Sri Lanka was gathered at The Colombo Grand Mosque to decide on the Eidul-Fithur (1st. day of Shawwal) just after Maghrib (6:30pm). No any positive naked eye sighting was reported from any part of the Island till 8:Pm. Hence The Committee decided to complete the Month of Ramadan with 30days and Celiberate the Eidul Fithur on Tuesday 29th.July 2014. "In Sha Allah"
- Not Seen: Navrooze Rawoof (MCW member) from Colombo reported:
July 27, Sky is cloudy. Decided by All Ceylon Jameeathul Ulama after taking in to consideration reports from different parts of the country that Eid would be on Tuesday, July 29.
- Not Seen: Hamza Rijal (MCW member) from Tiny Island of Zanzibar reported:
DATE OF SIGHTING EFFORT: Sunday, 27 July 2014
LOCATION OF SIGHTING: Zanzibar-Town, Mbuyuni
SKY CONDITIONS: Hazy
TIME OF SIGHTING EFFORT: 18:38 EAT (15:38GMT)
NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO SAW OR TRIED: Myself with my 2 Sons
FIRST DAY OF THE MONTH: 29 July 2014
REMARKS: Hilal was not sighted in tiny island of Zanzibar, Ramadhan will be 30 days, Insha'Allah 1st day of Shawwal will be on Tuesday 29th June 2014.
- Not Seen: Bakari Khatib Anzuruni (MCW member) from Dodoma reported:
On July 27, in Dodoma Tanzania the crescent not seen the sky was clear.
- Announcement: Vincent Mariani from Tunisia reported:
Tunisian mufti just announced Aid el Fitr monday 28 July too. Aidek Mabrouk ??
- Not Seen: Muhammed Cevad Turan from Intanbul reported:
On 27.07.2014, 6 people incl. me tried to observe new crescent of Shawwal between 8:00pm to 8:40pm. Because of cloudy horizon we couldn't see it, even though we tried Binoculars and Telescope: Celestron NexStar 127 SLT
- Not Seen: Mohammad Ali Javed (MCW member) from Luton, Bedfordshire reported:
Markazi Jamaat e Ahle Sunnah Wal UK & Europe have announced that Eid ul Fitr will be celebrated on Monday 28 July 2014.
We will follow the South African sighting.
- Not Seen: Dr. Javad Torabinejad (MCW member) from Blacksburg VA reported:
This evening (Sunday, July 27, 2014), the crescent moon of Shawwal was not sighted in Blacksburg, VA (Lat: 37° 15' 40" N, Lng: 80° 26' 56" W, and elevation: 646 meters). I arrived at my sighting location (Blacksburg Middle School) at 8:27 pm EDT (sunset: 8:33 pm). Soon after, using a pair of binoculars (10X50), I started scanning the western horizon. It was partly cloudy and hazy (most of the cloudiness was due south of West, though). With no sighting success, I left the area past moonset (moonset: 8:45 pm).
- Not Seen: Imam Salim Chishti (MCW member) from New Lebanon NY reported:
I looked for the crescent on July 27 but we had many storms and clouds so we could not see the moon. We will follow decision of FCNA and begin Eid al Fitr on July 28. Eid Mubarak to everyone and we pray that all your fast is accepted.
- Not Seen: Hamid Quraishi (MCW member) Imam Islamic Center of Winona (ICW) Winona MN reported:
DATE OF SIGHTING EFFORT: Sunday, July 27, 2014
SKY CONDITIONS: Scattered Dark Gray Clouds (with low visibility, difficult to see)
TIME OF SIGHTING EFFORT: Tried between 8:30 PM and 9:15 PM (local time)
NO. OF PEOPLE WHO SAW OR TRIED: Two including myself
REMARKS: Inshallah ICW will be celebrating Eid-ul- Fitr on July 28, 2014.
- Completed 30 days: Khadija Mohamed from Yemen reported:
Yemen completed 30 days of fasting so the first day of shawwaal will be on Monday 28 July 2014.
- Not Seen, but accepted South Africa sighting: Ayub Mahomed (MCW member) from Harare reported:
Moon not sighted in Zimbabwe but based on sightings in South Africa Eid will be celebrated on Monday 28 July 2014.
Monday, 28 July 2014:
- Seen: Muhammad Zeesahn from Melbourne, VIC reported:
On Monday, 28 July 2014, I saw the moon that became visible around 5:45PM. Crescent was thin with horns at 3 to 9 O'clock.
- Hong Kong:
- Seen: Tariq M. Eric from Hong Kong reported:
Hong Kong has local sighting on October 28 and decided July 29 will be the 1st of shawal.
- Seen: Mohammed Mohsin Khan (MCW member) from Mumbai reported:
Today Monday 28 July 2014 / 29 Ramadan 1435 in India. Here in Mumbai Sunset
was at 07:16 p.m LT and Moonset was at 08:04 pm LT., difference : 48 mins, Moon altitude : 10.5, phase : 2.5 but Sky was cloudy hence Crescent has not been sighted in Mumbai City,
BUT it was Sighted in Suburbs, and after getting Shahadah from there Official Moon-Sighting Committee have officially announced that Monday 28 July 2014 was 29 Ramadan 1435 and Tuesday 29 July 2014 will be 1st Shawwaal 1435 in India.
- Seen: AR Sugeng Riyadi (MCW member) from Assalaam Observatory, Surakarta Central Java reported:
DATE OF SIGHTING EFFORT: 28th July 2014
LOCATION OF SIGHTING: Assalaam Observatory, Sukoharjo-Surakarta Indonesia
SKY CONDITION: Clear with thin cloud
TIME OF SIGHTING EFFORT: 05:00-06:45 PM
NO. OF PEOPLE WHO TRIED: 4 Moslem
FIRST OF DAY OF THE MONTH: 28th July 2014 (calculation)
- New Zealand:
- Seen: Arief Syamsulaksana (MCW member) from Auckland reported:
In Auckland, Hilal first sighted by naked eye on July 28 at approx. 5:35 PM. It appeared quite smaller than usual and very subtle (thin) crescent. Fine weather and clear sky, TIME OF SIGHTING EFFORT: 05:25-06:00 PM.
NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO TRIED: one
Arc of the crescent: 4 to 8 o'clock
- Seen: Khalil Homafar (MCW member) from Houston TX reported:
Moon was seen this evening Monday July 28th, 2014 at 8:18 pm. ORIENTATION OF CRESCENT HORN: like from 2 O'clock to aprox. 6 O'clock
SKY CONDITION: was clear with lower horizon partially hazy and a piece of dark cloud
The crescent could be seen till 8:55 pm.
OFFICIAL 1st Day of Shawwal in Different Countries
Sunday, 27 July 2014:
- Hijri Committee of India, a small minority in India (The day after conjunction is the first day of the month)
- Nigeria (Announced based on mistaken claims of sighting)
Monday, 28 July 2014:
- Afghanistan (Follow Saudi)
- Albania (Follow Saudi)
- Algeria (Follow Saudi)
- Armenia (Follow Saudi)
- Austria (Follow Saudi)
- Azerbaijan (Follow Saudi)
- Bahrain (Follow Saudi)
- Bangladesh (Some areas follow Saudi)
- Barbados (Local Sighting)
- Belgium (Follow Saudi)
- Bolivia (Follow Saudi)
- Bosnia and Hercegovina (Follow Turkey)
- Bulgaria (Follow Saudi)
- Canada (FCNA/ISNA - Fiqh Council of North America/Islamic Society of North America)
- Chechnia (Follow Saudi)
- Chile (Local Sighting)
- China (Majority Follow MeccaCalendar.org)
- Cosovo (Follow Turkey)
- Croatia (Follow Turkey)
- Denmark (Follow Saudi)
- Egypt - Moon Born before sunset & moon sets at least 5 minutes after sunset
- Fiji Islands (Late change of decision by Fiji Muslim League) http://www.fianz.co.nz/eid-ul-fitr-1435h
- Finland (Follow Saudi)
- France (Union des organisations islamiques de France) [also CFCM (Conseil français du culte musulman)]
- Georgia (Follow Saudi)
- Guyana (Accepted Chile sighting)
- Hungary (Follow Saudi)
- Iceland (Follow Saudi)
- Indonesia (Claims of Sighting - Official Announcement)
- Iraq (Sunnis Follow Saudi)
- Ireland (ECFR - European Council for Fatwa and Research)
- Italy (Follow Saudi)
- Jordan (Follow Saudi)
- Kazakhstan (Follow Saudi)
- Kenya (Claims of sighting)
- Kuwait (Follow Saudi)
- Kyrgizstan (Follow Saudi)
- Lebanon (Follow Saudi)
- Libya (following others who declared Eid on Monday 28 July)
- Luxembourg (ECFR - European Council for Fatwa and Research)
- Macedonia (Follow Turkey)
- Madagascer (Local Sighting)
- Malawi (Local Sighting)
- Malaysia (Age > 8 hours, altitude > 2°, elongation > 3°)
- Mauritania (Follow Saudi)
- Montenegro (Follow Turkey)
- Namibia (Follow Saudi)
- Netherlands (Follow Turkey)
- New Zealand (Federation of Islamic Association of New Zealand) http://www.fianz.co.nz/eid-ul-fitr-1435h
- Norway (Some follow Saudi)
- Palestine (Follow Saudi)
- Philippines (Follow Saudi)
- Poland (Calculation)
- Qatar (Follow Saudi)
- Romania (Follow Saudi)
- Russia (Follow Turkey)
- Saudi Arabia (Official Announcement)
- Serbia (Follow Turkey)
- Slovania (Follow Turkey)
- South Africa (Local Sighting)
- Spain (Some Follow Saudi)
- Sudan (Follow Saudi)
- Sweden (Follow Saudi)
- Switzerland (Follow Saudi)
- Syria (Official Decision)
- Taiwan (Follow Saudi)
- Tajikistan (Follow Saudi)
- Tatarstan (Follow Saudi)
- Tunisia (Criteria of age, or altitude, or sunset-moonset lag)
- Turkey (In Turkey Altitude > 5°, elongation > 8°)
- Turkmenistan (Follow Saudi)
- U.A.E. (Follow Saudi)
- UK (Follow Saudi) [Coordination Committee of Major Islamic Centres and Mosques of London]
- UK (Local Sighting) [Wifaaqul ulama), (Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat], OR (Sighting from South Africa)
- USA (FCNA/ISNA - Fiqh Council of North America/Islamic Society of North America)
- Uzbekistan (Follow Saudi)
- Yemen (Completed 30 days)
- Zimbabwe (South Africa Sighting)
Tuesday, 29 July 2014:
- Australia (Local Sighting)
- Brunei (Local Sighting)
- China (Some follow Local Sighting)
- Hong Kong (Local Sighting)
- India (Local Sighting)
- Iran (Local Sighting)
- Iraq (Shi'aas Follow Local Sighting)
- Morocco (Local Sighting)
- Oman (Local Sighting)
- Pakistan (Local Sighting)
- Spain (Some Follow Morocco)
- Sri Lanka (Local Sighting)
- Tanzania (Local Sighting)
Back to Top