Al urjoonul qadeem of Rajab 1439: April 15 and April 14, 2018
On right is the old Crescent Moon (End of Rajab 1439 AH), April 14, 2018 (Photo on the right is provided by MCW member Mr AR Sugeng Riyadi from Assalaam Observatory, Surakarta Central Java): This is decreasing moon that was sighted in Indnesia after Fajr on April 14, 2018. Click on the photo on the right to see full size.
New Crescent Moon of Sha'ban 1439:
The Astronomical New Moon (conjunction) is on April 16, 2018 (Monday) at 1:57 UT. On April 16, the moon is only visible in Americas. On April 17, the crescent can be seen in the whole world (See visibility curves).
The earliest reported sighting of the new crescent was on Monday, April 16, 2018 from Garland, TX, USA.
April 16, 2018 (Monday):
- Not Seen: MCW member Engr Manzoor A Mian from Melbourne, VIC reported:
The Hilaal of Sha'ban has not been sighted anywhere in Australia.
Therefore, the month of SAFAR will commence from Wednesday 18th of April 2018.
- Not Seen: MCW member Dr Shabbir Ahmed, President of Qubaa association of Western Sydney, NSW reported:
Today (Monday) 16th of April, the Hilaal of SHA'BAAN has NOT been sighted anywhere in Australia. Hence the month of SHA'BAAN will commence from Wednesday 18th of April 2018.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr HiMY SYeD from Vancouver, British Columbia reported:
It has been raining all day in Metro Vancouver. At Monday, April 16, 2018 sunset time, 8:08 p.m., the sky remained completely
overcast and still raining. o moonsighting was possible tonight.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Muhammad Sohail from Iquique reported:
On Monday, April 16, I have not seen the new moon of Sha'ban in Chile; the sky was medium clear.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Malik Salifu Shaban from Garu Bawku reported:
The hilaal for Shaban has not been sighted here in Garu in the Upper East Region of Ghana today, monday, 16 April 2018, though the weather was clear. Sighting efforts were made around the Sunni mosque in Garu from 18:00 to 18:20 but no sign of crescent.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Baba Abdulai from Tamale reported:
Date of sighting effort; Monday April 16, 2018. The crescent was NOT sighted in Tamale Time of sighting effort was between 18:15 to about 18:43 and beyond. Sky condition was cloudy around the western horizon. With about 16 hours after conjunction, I was not too optimistic about sighting the crescent.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr AR Sugeng Riyadi from Rowasiya Observatory in Bendo Ketitang Juwiring Klaten Central Java reported: The new crescent of Shaban 1439 AH was not sighted on Monday, April 16, 2018 from Bukit Sukuh Ngargoyoso Karanganyar Central Java Indonesia. The west horizon was cloudy.
The observation was attended by Kemenag of Karanganyar and moslem from Madiun. Also team of CASA from Assalaam Observayory.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Ehsan H. Hajar from Casablanca reported:
With a clear sky & fair weather at Sunset on Maonday, April 16, and the usual dense humid horizon, I was unable to spot SHB crescent till it setting time here in my home Casablanca Morocco. The ministry of Habouse declared negative seeing as well & announced Wednesday April 18th the beginning of Sha'ban.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Zakaria Guelzim from Rabat reported:
The Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs in Morocco concludes to inform the citizens that it observed the moon of Shaaban 1439, after Maghrib on Monday, 29 Rajab 1439, 16 April 2018 and contacted all representatives of Islamic affairs and Royal Armed Forces in the kingdom. They all assured that the vision was not proven. Thus, the month of Rajab will be completed thirty days, and the beginning of the month of Shaaban 1439 is Wednesday, 18 April 2018.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Jinadu Yunusa from Kisi, Oyo State reported:
I tried to sight for the new crescent of the month of Shaban today Monday 16/04/18~1439\07\30 I couldn't see despite the clear weather. No report of sighting from other zones across the country.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr HabibuRahman Yunus from Yola, Nigeria reported:
On Monday, 29th Rajab, 1439 AH, 16th April, 2018, I at Savannah Sugar Company Ltd Gyawana, Lamurde Local Government Area of Adamawa State Nigeria have tried to sight the new crescent for the month of Sha'aban approximately 6:30 pm to 6:55 pm but I couldn't find it. Sunset time 6:23 pm.
- Saudi Arabia:
- Not Seen: MCW member Dr Ayyub Patel from Abha reported:
Monday evening 6.30pm local time was magrib prayers. Western horizon at the place of sunset was clear with a few clouds. The Hilal was not seen by naked eye or binoculars. Sky map showed it to be too close to the horizon and only about 15 hours old.
- South Africa:
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Rashid Motala from Durban reported:
On the evening of Monday 16th April 2018, the Hilaal was NOT sighted in South Africa. Therefore Sha'baan 1439 will commence on Wednesday 18th April 2018 in South Africa.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Hamza Rijal from Tiny Island of Zanzibar reported:
The crescent of Shaaban was not sighted in tiny island of Zanzibar and all over Unguja and Pemba as well as Tanzania mainland on 16th April 2018, Sighting efforts were marred by cloudy weather. Therefore, the month of Shaaban will commence from Wednesday, the 18th of April 2018 and it�s confirmed by Mufty Office.
- Trinidad and Tobago:
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Umar Abdullah from Bon Accord, Tobago reported:
The crescent moon to commence the month of Sha'Baan 1439 AH was looked for after the sunset of Monday 16th April 2018. Reports from all committees locally and regional confirm that the moon was NOT SIGHTED. We have accepted these reports and has declared that the month of Rajab 1439 AH will complete 30 days and the 1st night of Sha'Baan 1439 AH is the night of Tuesday 17th April 2018, and the first day of Sha'Baan 1439 AH is the day of Wednesday 18th April 2018.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Hakan Karasoylu from Adana reported:
On Monday, April 16, 2018, the Hilaal of Sha'ban has not been sighted in Adana Turkey. The sky was cloudy.
- Not Seen: Wifaqul Ulama Administrator of Britain reported:
On the evening of Monday 16th April 2018, Moon was not sighted anywhere in Britain. It was also not sighted in Morocco or further away in South Africa. Wifaqul Ulama have therefore decided that 30 days of Rajab will be completed and Shabaan 1439 will begin from Wednesday, the 18th of April 2018.
- Not Seen: MCW member Dr Javad Torabinejad from Blacksburg VA reported:
This evening (Monday, April 16, 2018), the crescent moon was not sighted in Blacksburg, VA (Lat: 37� 15' 40" N, Lng: 80� 26' 56" W, and elevation: 646 meters). I arrived at my first sighting location in Blacksburg at 8:04 pm EDT (sunset: 7:58 pm). Soon, using a pair of binoculars (7X50), I started scanning clearings in a mostly cloudy and hazy western horizon; I stayed there for about 14 minutes. I left for my second sighting location in Christiansburg (Lat: 37� 7' 48" N, Lng: 80� 24' 32" W, and elevation: 638 meters), hoping that the crescent appears in the clearings there. Again, I looked for another 14 minutes till 8:41 pm with no success (moonset: 8:45 pm). At 8:35 pm, the temperature, dew point, relative humidity, and pressure were 33.8 F, 24.8 F, 70%, and 29.85 in, respectively
- Seen: MCW member Mr Mohamedraza H.Janmohamed from Sanford FL reported:
The Moon-sighting Sub-committee wishes to inform the community that the new crescent for the month of Mahe Sha�baan was sighted in California.
Therefore, based on the opinion of Seyyid Sistani regarding Multiplicity of Horizons, for Florida:
TUESDAY, APRIL 17, 2017 is established as the 1st Day of Mahe Sha�baan, 1439 AH.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Mohammed Yahya Shaikh from Garland, TX reported:
Allhamdullilah the moon for shabaan was first seen by binos at 8:05 PM CT and naked eye at 8:15 CT in Garland, TX on Monday April 16, 2018. The horns were between 2 and 7 o'clock and was approximately 5deg above the horizon.
- Seen: Council of Shia Muslim Scholars in North America reported:
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that the crescent moon of the month of Shaban, 1439 A.H. was sighted in the southern regions of the United States during the sunset of Monday, April 16th, 2018. Based on the opinion of Sayyid Sistani regarding Multiplicity of Horizons, the first of the month of Shaban, 1439 A.H will be as follows:
Tuesday, April 17, 2018, for all the areas under the horizon visibility curve starting from Philadelphia, passing through Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, all the way to Vancouver.
Wednesday, April 18, 2018, for the rest of North America.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Mirza Shahid Basravi from Irvine CA reported:
I sighted the new crescent from near my home in Irvine Ca, Monday April 16th, 7:50 pm. Another friend reported the he, his brother, and a guest saw the new crescent from his home in the city of Orange Ca.
April 17, 2018 (Tuesday):
- Not Seen: MCW member Engr M Ibrahim Mayar from Kabul reported:
Today Tuesday 17 Aprail 2018 at sunset 19:00 Oclock local time the Shaban crescent could not been sighted ,due to the rainy day in which the sky remained completely overcast.
- Seen: MCW member Imam Abul Qasim Rizvi, Imam Juma Melbourne reported:
Alhumdulillah moon has been sighted in Brisbane therefore Inshallah Tomorrow 18th April 2018 Wednesday will be the 1st of Sha�aban Al Muadhham 1439 AH.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Moussa Khalife from Sydney, NSW reported:
Today Tuesday 17th of April 2018, I sighted Shaaban crescent in sydney Australia at 5:55 pm for 3 to 4 min.
The sky was cloudy but fortunately the moon was in a small clear space between the upper and lower clouds
So Wednesday 18th of April is the 1st of Shaaban 1439H.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Mohammed Patel from Bridgetown reported:
Today, Tuesday 17th April, 2018, the Crescent was SEEN at approximately 6:30 p.m. local time .Orientation 3 o'clock to 7 o'clock. Therefore we had 30 days of Rajab. Insha'Allah, the 1st of Sha'ban will be on Wednesday 18th April, 2018.
- Seen: MCW member Mr HiMY SYeD from Vancouver, British Columbia reported:
On Tuesday, April 17, Local sunset time in Vancouver was 8:10 p.m. After praying Maghrib at Al-Jamia Masjid Vancouver, I went
searching for the new crescent. It only took a few moments for success. The thin new crescent was easily seen high in the evening sky,
looking up from the alley way behind the masjid.
- Seen: MCW member Dr Hisham M. Hamed from Cairo reported:
Tuesday, April 17th, 2018, (30th Rajab 1439), Here in Giza (30.0�N, 31.2�E) I observed the Hilal of Sha'baan, starting at apparent sunset (18:24), at which time I started my stopwatch. Some five minutes later, I still could not see it. The sky was clear, but visibility wasn't exactly excellent. I returned from Maghrib prayer 17 minutes after sunset, at which time I could see Venus. The Hilal finally appeared at ~18:42 (17'40" after apparent sunset).
- Seen: MCW member Mr Malik Salifu Shaban from Garu Bawku reported:
The hilaal for Shaban was easily seen everywhere in Garu and its surroundings in the upper East Region of Ghana today, 17th April 2018.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Shahid Ali Farooqui from Amravati, Maharashtra, India
Today 17th April 2018 around 18.50 Hrs (ISD) 1st Shaban moon was sighted at Amravati, Maharashtra, India.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Yusuf Idara from New Delhi reported:
Today Tuesday 17-04-2018 = 29-Rajab-1439 Hijri, i tried to see the moon at my home from 06:48 pm to 07:15 pm the moon was sighted easily with naked eye the horizon was clear. 1st Sha�ban wil be 18th of April 2018.
- New Zealand:
- Seen: MCW member Mr Abid Jafery from Auckland reported:
Sighted in New Zealand at the sunset of 17 April 2018 6:10pm in the cities of Christchurch and New Plymouth and crescent orientation is [from 5 to 11 O'clock]
- Seen: MCW member Engr Zaid Ibrahim from Surulere, Lagos reported:
I saw the hilal (Crescent) of Sha�ban, 1439 A.H. with my naked eyes last night 17th April, 2018 at Surulere, Lagos, Nigeria between 7 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.The weather was clear and bright. The orientation of the hilal was 3 to 9.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Jalil Rayhan from Cotabato reported:
On Tuesday, April 17, the crescent was moon at 6:29pm. It is more or less directly above the setting sun.
- Saudi Arabia:
- Seen: MCW member Dr Ayyub Patel from Abha reported:
On April 17, Monday, moon was easily seen after magrib prayers in Abha, Saudi Arabia at 7pm local time.
- Sri Lanka:
- Seen: MCW member Mr Nular Bary from Colombo reported:
Today 29th.of Rajab 1439H (17/04/2018) rainy evening in Colombo and the western sky was cloudy, but positive sighting was reported from northwest cites, Mannar, Puttalam & many other places. Hence the Colombo Grand Mosque Hilallal Committee Decided to start month of Sha'ban 1439 in Sri Lanka on 18th. Wednesday 2018 "In Sha Allah"
- Trinidad and Tobago:
- Seen: MCW member Mr Ishmael Khan from Princes Town, Trinidad reported:
The moon for the first night of Sha'ban 1439 was sighted on the night of Tuesday 17th April immediately after the Maghrib Salaah among other brothers outside the Masjid. Therefore the first day of Shabaan 1439 would be Wednesday 18th April 2018. The crescent being 3:00 O�clock to 9:00 O�Clock. May Allah bless all of us and take us to Ramadan Insha Allah.
Back to Top