The official decision and announcement of the High Judiciary Council (HJC) of Saudi Arabia regarding the beginning of Dhul-Hijjah is that 1st of Dhul-Hijjah will be on Wednesday 17 October 2012, and the Muslims performing Hajj will be in 'Arafah on Thursday 25 October 2012 (9 Dhul-Hijjah 1433), and the Muslim Ummah shall be celebrating 'Eid al-Adhaa on Friday 26 October 2012, (10 Dhul-Hijjah 1433), inshaa-Allaah.
Moonsighting for Dhul-Hijjah 1433
The Astronomical New Moon is on October 15, 2012 (Monday) at 12:02 UT. On Monday, October 15, it can not be seen anywhere in the world by naked eye. On Tuesday, October 16, 2012, it can be easily seen in Australia, Africa and Americas; and with difficulty in South-East Asia (See visibility curves).
The earliest reported sighting of the new crescent was on October 16, 2012 from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
Monday, 15 October 2012:
Tuesday, 16 October 2012:
- Seen by others in Brisbane QL: Engr Manzoor A Mian (MCW member) from Melbourne, VIC reported:
Melbourne was cloudy and rainy today 16/10/12 Tuesday evening. We were unable to sight Dhul Hajjah Crescent in Melbourne. I got authentic news it is sighted in Brisbane Therefore the first day of Dhul Hijjah in Australia will be on Wednesday 17th Oct. 2012 InshaAllah and Eid-ul Adha is on Friday.
- Not Seen: Engr. Azizul Huq (MCW member) from Dhaka reported:
On 16th October,2012 I could not see the Moon from 14th story as western sky was not clear. I wanted to hear the decision of Islamic Foundation, Bangladesh. The official announcement regarding moon observation was also negative. So we shall see moon tomorrow.
- Seen: Suleman Manjra (MCW member) reported:
On Tuesday 16th October 2012, the Hilaal was sighted in Barbados just before Magrib Salaat. Eid-ul-Adha, Insha-Allah will be on Friday, 26 October 2012.
- 30 days completed: Dr. Mohammed Hussain Ahmad (MCW member) from Brunei Darussalam reported:
On the evening of Monday, Oct 15, 2012, the Ministry of Religious Affairs has announced that the crescent for the month of Zulhijjah
1433 was not sighted. Therefore, we complete 30 days and the first day of Zulhijjah will commence on Wednesyday, Oct
17, 2012 and Brunei will celebrate Eid Adha on Friday, Oct 26, 2012.
- Not Seen: HiMY SYeD (MCW member) from Toronto Ontario reported:
On Tuesday Evening, October 16, 2012, after praying maghrib at the downtown Masjid Toronto, I searched for the new moon. The skies were clear, with only a few low hanging clouds along the horizon. I searched for at least ten minutes from different vantage points. I did not see the crescent.
- Not Seen: Baig Muhammad Tamachi (MCW member) from Peterborough Ontario reported:
Despite fairly clear Westerly skies, intermittently blocked by thin strips of clouds close to horizon with beautiful scarlet halo, the Dhul`Hijja Hilaal was not seen in Peterborough, Ontario Canada on October 16, Tuesday. Alone, but with a pair of Bushnell “Falcon” 10x50 binoculars, I reached the observation deck of the local look-out point located on Peterborough’s Museum Hill at 6:20 pm and carried my Hilaal sighting efforts until 7:00pm (Today, local Maghrib Time was at 6:37pm).
- Dominican Republic:
- Seen: Ahmad Abdul Haqq (MCW member) from Santo Domingo reported:
I, Ahmad AbdlHaqq, of sound mind, body and spirit, saw the crescent moon (hilal) for the month of Dhul Hijjah 1433H at 18:41 hrs (6:41 pm) in the West-South-Western partly cloudy skies of la Otra Banda sector of the city of Higüey, Dominican Republic, from the top of the roof of my home (pictures taken by cell phone). There were 3 other positive sightings by trustworthy Muslims, 2 in the sector San Isidro in Santo Domingo, and another just outside of the city of Santiago.
- Fiji Islands:
- Not Seen: M Shamim Ali (MCW member) from Samabula Suva reported:
New Moon for the month of Zill Hajj 1433H was not sighted in the Fiji Islands on 16th Oct 2012.
- Not Seen: Siddik Nadvi (MCW member) from Ahmedabad, Gujrat reported:
M Siddik Nadvi From Ahmedabad Gujarat India Today Tuesday, October 16, 2012 = 29 Dhul Qa'dah 1433.we try to see the crescent
of Zul hijja 1433 Hijri at our Institute JAMIA KANZUL ULOOM between 6.15 to 7.15, sky is clear but we did not see the crescent.
- Not Seen: Molvi Iqbalhusen Bokda (MCW member) from Godhra, Gujrat reported:
Crescent for ZilHajj was not seen here in Godhra today 16th October though the sky was clear. I could get only negative sighting from different parts of Gujarat and India.
- Seen: Ahmad I. Adjie (MCW member) from Bandung reported:
The Hilal was SEEN today 16 October 2012 at Patra beach, near Ngurah Rai airport, Bali, Indonesia. The horizon was particularly clear except for some dark clouds exactly above the horizon. Three out of four of us positively saw the crescent which we followed for a few minutes until it totally went below the clouds. Two of our team are apprentice sighters, and looking forward to sight every month.
- Seen: Mohamed Noorany (MCW member) from Mombasa reported:
Alhamdulillah, the moon for Dhul-Hijja was clearly sighted in Mombasa city of Kenya after Maghrib prayers on Tuesday 16th October 2012. Inshallah, Eid-Ul-Adha will be be celebrated in Kenya on Friday 26th October 2012.
- Not Seen: Firdaus Mazlan (MCW member) from Johor Bahru reported:
On Tuesday, 16 th October 2012 M equal to 28 th Dhul-Qi'dah 1433 H, I with my friend (Mr. Muhammad Zainal Abiden bin Mohamad Hani, Mr. Muhammad Ibrahim bin Jamil, Mr. Mohammad Haniff bin Md Yusoff, Mr. Mohd Fairuz Tira bin Osman, Mr. Mohamad Khairi bin Narahwie, Mr. Muhammad Zaidi bin Zainal, Mr. Muhammad Ishak bin Ahmad and Mr. Sahrizan Sahril bin Salleh) cannot see the new moon either with telescope or with naked eye at Baitul Hilal, Teluk Kemang, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia (02:26:43.0 N , 101:51:16.0 E). It because the horizon is very cloudy.
- Seen: Goolam Tegally (MCW member) from Port Louis reported:
Hilal was reported to have been sighted this evening Tuesday 16 Oct here in Mauritius. We shall be celebrating Eid-ul-Adha on Friday 26 Oct.
- Seen: Khalid Chraibi (MCW member) from Casablanca reported:
I'm pleased to inform you that the Moroccan authorities have announced that the new moon was observed in the evening of October 16 2012. The 1st dhul hijja corresponds therefore to Wednesday October 17 2012.
- Not Seen: Mufti Sultan Alam (MCW member) from Karachi reported:
On Tuesday (October 16, 2012 = 28 Zul-Qa’dah 1433 in Pakistan) I tried to sight the moon with two friends but it was not seen. In Karachi it was very hazy.
- Not Seen: Rizwan Shah (MCW member) from Gujrat reported:
On October 16, the new crescent not sighted by us, because the sky was totally cloudy. I started my efforts tosight the moon from 6:10pm
local time to 7:00 pm but I failed to find the moon.
- Seen: Saleh Bhai Bhattay (MCW member) from Panama City reported:
On Tuesday 16th October 2012, the Hilaal was sighted in panama. Eid-al-Adha insha-Allah will be on Friday, 26 October.
- Seen: Ibrahima Thierno LO (MCW member) from Dakar reported:
The sky was partly cloudy, the atmospheric condition was hazy. I have seen myself the crescent 15 minutes after sunset on Tuesday 16 October. The official day of Eid Al Adha in Senegal is Friday 26 October, incha Allah.
- South Africa:
- Seen: Rashid Motala (MCW member) from Durban reported:
On Tuesday 16th October 2012, the Hilaal was sighted in S. Africa (in the Gauteng Province). Zul-Hijjah 1433 will commence from Wednesday 17th October 2012.
- 30 days completed: Gabriel Jairodín Riaza (MCW member) from Madrid reported:
The Union of Islamic Communities of Spain (Islamic Commission of Spain) announces that Tuesday, October 16, is the 30th of the month of Dhul Qada, and Wednesday, October 17, is the first day of the month of Dhul Hijjah 1433. Thursday, October 25, is Arafah and Eid al Adha is Friday, October 26, 2012. See this Web Site
- Seen: Hamza Rijal (MCW member) from Tiny Island of Zanzibar reported:
On Tuesday 16th October 2012, the Hilaal was sighted in tiny island of Zanzibar even though the sky was hazy but number of Muslims who are eager to observed the Hillal managed to observed the Hillal. Zul-Hijjah 1433 AH will commence from Wednesday 17th October 2012 and the Mufty office have confirmed.
- Seen in other countries: Saraj Qazi (MCW member) from Luton, Bedfordshire reported:
Allama Qazi Abdul Aziz Chishti, on behalf of Markazi Aulema & Musha'ikh Council UK & Markazi Jamat Ahle Sunnat UK & Europe (The largest and oldest Jamaat of Ahle Sunnah in UK) announced the following:
"On following the Sunnah of RasoolAllah (Salallahu Aleyhi Wasallam) and the Shariah, due to positive sighting of the moon around the world and conditions of Ruet being present, we announce the first of Dhul Hijjah to be on 17th October and the 10th Dhul Hijjah & Eid-ul-Adha to be on the Friday 26th October 2012."
- Seen in other countries: Qamar Uddin (MCW member) from York reported:
On Tuesday, 16 October 2012 (29 Dhul Qa'dah 1433 AH) many people from throughout UK have attempted to sight the crescent moon (Hilal) of Dhul Hijjah after sunset. None of the groups were able to sight the Hilal, even though many places had clear sky conditions.
However, we have received any reliable sighting reports (Muhaqaq-Ruyat-Basari) from Morocco Awqaf Ministry and Jamiat-e-Ulama, South Africa.
Therefore, the Wifaq/Batley Ulama have decided that the month of Dhul Qa'dah 1433 AH will have 29-days and the month of Dhul Hijjah 1433 AH will start from Wednesday 17 October 2012, making Eid-ul Adha on Friday 26 October 2012, Insha-Allah. Eid Mubarak to all Muslims!
Saudi Arabia will also start Hijjah 1433 AH from Wednesday 17 October 2012 based on 30-days completion of the month.
- Seen in other countries: Aziz Raje (MCW member) from Ilford Essex reported:
We had beautiful clear skies in London and a few of us attempted to sight the Hilal of Dhul Hijjah on October 16, but
we did not find the Hilal. Many groups throughout the UK also attempted the sighting of the Hilal
as we had clear conditions in most of UK but all reported negative sighting on Tuesday evening
16th October. However we have received written confirmation of actual sighting from the Ministry of
Awqaf in Morocco. Wifaq ul Ulama (along with the Ulama of Batley are the only group in the UK which
decides on actual verified sighting) have therefore decided that we will commence the Month of
Dhul Hijjah from Wednesday 17th October in the United Kingdom and Eid ul Adha will therefore be
on Friday 26th October Insha Allah.
- Seen: Javad Torabinejad (MCW member) from Blacksburg VA reported:
This evening (Tuesday, October 16, 2012), the crescent moon of Thul Hijjah was sighted in Blacksburg, VA (Lat: 37° 15' 40" N, Lng: 80° 26' 56" W, and elevation: 646 meters). I arrived at my sighting location at 6:34 pm EDT (sunset: 6:42 pm). Using a pair of binoculars (7X50), I started scanning the expected crescent location in a partly cloudy WSW horizon. The crescent was first sighted by the binoculars at 6:36 pm and immediately by naked eye. The horns were at 1:30 and 6:00 O'clock (1:30;3:00;6:00). I followed the crescent till 6:56 pm when it descended behind thin clouds (moonset: 7:29 pm). At 6:35 pm, the temperature, dew point, relative humidity, and pressure were 57.2F, 39.2 F, 51%, and 29.93 in, respectively.
- Seen: Qazi Azam (MCW member) from New Haven CT reported:
We went to Fort Nathan Haile Park located in New Haven, CT to observe Hilal. The Horizon was clear. Sunset was 6:08 pm and we tried to see the moon until 6:16. Then we prayed Maghreb and after that we saw the Hilal of Zul-Hajjah. It was thin and lightly illuminated.
- Seen: Tasmin Ahmad(MCW member) from Murrieta, CA reported:
On Tuesday, October 16th 2012, I along with my wife and daughter saw the moon easily in Murrieta, California at 6:47pm. The sky was clear. We were able to see it until 6:55pm, when the moon went behind the mountains. The orientation of the crescent was from 2 O'clock to 8 O'clock on a dial of an imaginary clock in the sky.
- Seen: Mirza Shahid Basravi (MCW member) from Irvine CA reported:
On Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012, New Crescent for Dhul Hajj, 1433, was Seen at 6:09pm, before Sunset. The age of this crescent today in Irvine, Ca, at Sunset, was more than 37 hours. The sky was clear of clouds but the haze was still significant. The Sunset in Irvine, Ca was at 6:15 pm. My location was Lon 117 degree 46 min, and Lat 33 degree 42 min. I was able to spot the new crescent with my 7 x 35 binoculars at 6:09pm and able to see it with regular eye-glasses by 6:10pm. The ends of the crescent was pointing at 2 O'clock and 6 O'clock. I have attached two pictures one taken at 6:14 pm (before sunset) and the other at 6:43 pm; both with times 12 zoom.
- Seen: Ayub Mahomed (MCW member) from Harare reported:
Moon sighted by myself and other Muslim brothers in Harare at approx 6.15pm local time. Moon was also sighted in mutare. Eid adulanha will be on Friday 26 oct inshallah.
Wednesday, 17 October 2012:
- Seen: Yusuf Idara (MCW member) from New Delhi reported:
Today wednesday, october 17, 2012 = 29 Dhul Qa'dah 1433. I Yusuf Idara with other 2 brothers try to sight the Moon of Dhul Hijjah 1433 Hijri, New Delhi, India at 06:10 pm horizon was clear and we saw the moon with naked eye.
- Seen: Siddik Nadvi (MCW member) from Ahmedabad, Gujrat reported:
Today Wednesday, October 17, 2012 = 30 Dhul Qa'dah 1433.we try to see the crescent of Zul hijja 1433 Hijri at our Institute JAMIA KANZUL ULOOM at 6.15 pm sky is clear we see the crescent clearly.
- Seen: Asif Hussain (MCW member) from Hyderabad reported:
On wednesday 17th october 2012, Dul Qidah 29, cresent of Dul HIjja was clearly seen through out the city of hyderabad, Pakistan. Moon was visible a few minutes before sunset which was about 6pm here in hyderabad and remained clearly visible for more than half hour. Therefore the 1st of Dul Hijjah is Thursday 18th october 2012 inshaALLAH.
- Seen: Dr. Amin Uddin Ahmed (MCW member) from Islamabad reported:
Moon was sighted this evening, October 17 in Islamabad, Pakistan. Three persons witnessed it and measured its azimuth and altitude. The values obtained were found to tally with those calculated using MoonCaic-6 software. Sky was clear. First sighted 4 minutes after sunset at about 17.40 Hrs. Orientation of horns: 1 O'clock to 7 O'clock
OFFICIAL Day of Eid-al-Adha in Different Countries
Friday, 26 October 2012:
- Afghanistan (Follow Saudi)
- Albania (Follow Saudi)
- Algeria (Follow Saudi)
- Armenia (Follow Saudi)
- Austria (Follow Saudi)
- Azerbaijan (Follow Saudi)
- Bahrian (Follow Saudi)
- Bangladesh (Some follow Saudi)
- Belgium (Follow Saudi)
- Bolivia (Follow Saudi)
- Bosnia and Hercegovina (Follow Saudi)
- Brunei (30 days completed)
- Bulgaria (Follow Saudi)
- Chechnia (Follow Saudi)
- China (Follow Saudi)
- Cosovo (Follow Saudi)
- Denmark (Follow Saudi)
- Egypt (Moon Born before sunset & moon sets at least 5 minutes after sunset)
- Finland (Follow Saudi)
- Georgia (Follow Saudi)
- Hungary (Follow Saudi)
- Iceland (Follow Saudi)
- Ireland (Follow Saudi)
- Italy (Follow Saudi)
- Jordan (Follow Saudi)
- Kazakhstan (Calculations)
- Kenya (Local Sighting)
- Kuwait (Follow Saudi)
- Kyrgizstan (Follow Saudi)
- Lebanon (Follow Saudi)
- Malaysia (Age > 8 hours, altitude > 2°, elongation > 3°)
- Mauritania (Follow Saudi)
- Mauritius (Local Sighting)
- Montenegro (Follow Saudi)
- Morocco (Local Sighting)
- Netherlands (Follow Saudi)
- Norway (Some Follow Saudi)
- Palestine (Follow Saudi)
- Panama (Local Sighting)
- Philippines (Follow Saudi)
- Qatar (Follow Saudi)
- Romania (Follow Saudi)
- Russia (Follow Saudi)
- Saudi Arabia (30 days completion - Official Announcement)
- Senegal (Local Sighting)
- South Africa (Local Sighting)
- Spain (30 days completed)
- Spain (Follow Saudi)
- Sudan (Follow Saudi)
- Sweden (Follow Saudi)
- Switzerland (Follow Saudi)
- Syria (Follow Saudi)
- Taiwan (Follow Saudi)
- Tajikistan (Follow Saudi)
- Tanzania (Local Sighting)
- Tatarstan (Follow Saudi)
- Turkmenistan (Follow Saudi)
- U.A.E. (Follow Saudi)
- UK (Follow Saudi) [Coordination Committee of Major Islamic Centres of London, The central Moon Sighting Committee of Great Britain]
- UK (Sighting from other country) [Wifaaqul ulama , Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat]
- USA (Fiqh Council of North America/Islamic Society of North America (Follow Saudi)
- Uzbekistan (Follow Saudi)
- Yemen (Follow Saudi)
Saturday, 27 October 2012:
- Bangladesh (Local Sighting)
- Fiji Islands (Local Sighting)
- India (Local Sighting)
- Malaysia (Some follow 30 days completion)
- Pakistan (Local Sighting or 30 days completion)