On Thursday, August 16 in Calicut, India, at Fajr time many saw "Urj Oonil Qadeem", the last visible phase of moon of this Ramadhan in the East.
It was very thin and the horns were at 4-8 position and it appeared nearly 4° above the horizon at 05:00 hrs. See the photo on left (click on it to see full size photo)
The shape and its stage confirmed that it will not be seen tomorrow on Friday, August 17, neither at Fajr in the East nor after sunset in the West. It is the Day of Astronomical New Moon or Conjunction (Mahaq).
On Thursday, August 16 in Maryland, USA, at Fajr time, several people saw the waning moon, "Urj Oonil Qadeem", the last visible phase of moon of this Ramadan.
It was in the East and quite thin and the horns were at 5-9 position and it appeared nearly 3° above the horizon at 05:50 am. See the photo on left (click on it to see full size photo)
According to Proposed Makkah Hijri Calendar [http://www.makkahcalendar.org/], the information for the celebration of Eid Al Fitr, can be found in the following links:
English : http://www.makkahcalendar.org/en/eid-al-fitr-2012.php
French : http://www.makkahcalendar.org/fr/eid-al-fitr-2012.php
Arabic : http://www.makkahcalendar.org/ar/eid-al-fitr-2012.php
According to Fatwa of Grand Ayatollah Hosseini Nassab (Thornhill, Ontario, Canada), Sunday, August 19, 2012 is Eidul Fitr... Click here.
Moonsighting for Shawwal 1433
The Astronomical New Moon is on August 17, 2012 (Friday) at 15:54 UT. On Friday, August 17, it can not be seen anywhere in the populated world by naked eye, binoculars, or even high powered telescope. On Saturday, August 18, 2012, it can be easily seen in Southern Africa, Central and South Americas. On August 19, it can be seen in rest of the whole world (See visibility curves).
The earliest authentic reported sighting of the new crescent was on August 18, 2012 from Fiji Islands.
Friday, 17 August 2012:
Saturday, 18 August 2012:
- Not Seen: Abbas Aly (MCW member) from Annangrove NSW reported
On Saturday, August 18, not a single astronomical centre / society / research centre in Australia saw the moon. The Sydney observatory has also verified this. The claim of sighting in Australia was similar to the sighting in China mentioned above, because, when the question is asked who saw or can we call someone to verify there is no information given and the mosque in Victoria had already declared EID on Friday for Sunday Eid, so sighting claim in Bandoora below look fishy.
- Not seen in Melbourne, but accepted sighting in Bandoora, VIC: Engr Manzoor A Mian (MCW member) from Melbourne, VIC reported:
Melbourne was although cloudy and rainy today 18/8/12 Saturday evening but crescent is sighted in it's suburb Bandoora on one of hilltop from patches of cloud. Six brothers sighted crescent. Crescent was not sighted in Sydney and Brisbane. Therefore First Shawal in Australia is on 20th August 2012 Sunday InshaAllah.
- Not seen in Sydney, but accepted sighting in Bandoora, VIC: Dr. Shabbir Ahmed (MCW member) Imam of Rooty Hill Mosque Sydney, NSW reported:
On Saturday 18th August 2012, the Hilal of SHAWWAAL 1433 has been sighted in Bundoora (Victoria), Darwin & Perth, Western Australia. Therefore, the Hilal Committee and Majlisul Ulama' of Australia have declared that the month of SHAWWAAL 1433 will commence from Sunday 19th August 2012.
- Not Seen: Zahid Hafeez (MCW member) from Canberra, ACT reported:
The new moon crescent for 1st Shawal was not visible this evening (18 August) from Canberra due to thick cloud on the horizon.
- Not Seen: Hasnain Lakhani (MCW member) from Underwood, QL reported:
There was a group of 10 of us attempting to sight the crescent this evening in Brisbane. We stayed until the moon set time and the crescent was not sighted.
- Azad Kashmir:
- Not Seen: Irtiza Hassan (MCW member) from Muzaffarabad, Azad Kashmir reported:
On 17 & 18th August 2012, no moon sighting in Muzaffarbad, Azad Kashmir, Skies were cloudy.
- Not Seen: Abdul Hameed Haji (MCW member) reported:
On Saturday, Aug 18, 2012, I could not see the moon in Hamad town, Bahrain. Skies were 90% clear. We start observing from 2pm to 6:30pm.
We were use meade telescope and we fixed ccd camera. Moon situation on Saturday 18 Aug was:
Altitude on the horizon at sunset: 3 degrees
Elongation between the sun and the moon: 12 degrees.
Crescent stayed on the horizon: 17 minutes
Lighting proportion Moon: 1.3%
- Seen in neighboring Island: Suleman Manjra (MCW member) reported:
The moon was not seen in Barbados today the 18th August. However, the decision was made based on moonsighting in nearby island Grenada. This was accepted by the Jamiat Ul Ulamaa of Barbados and Inshallah tomorrow Sunday, 19th August, Eid Ul Fitr will be celebrated in Barbados.
Trinidad also accepted Grenada's sighting.
- Not Seen: Dr. Mohammed Hussain Ahmad (MCW member) from Brunei Darussalam reported:
The new crescent was not sighted in Brunei this evening, Saturday, 18 August 2012.
Therefore, tomorrow, Sunday, 19 August 2012 will be the completion of 30 Ramadhan 1433.
1st Shawwal 1433 will begin on Monday, 20 August 2012.
- Not Seen: Hilal ibn Muhammad (MCW member) from Calgary Alberta reported:
I went to sight the moon with another brother at around 7:15pm until 9:00pm MST time and we could not see it. The conditions were clear but there was some haze very low on the horizon which increased and then closer to sunset some clouds formed low on the horizon. Since the moon sets before the sun it was very difficult to impossible to see it with the naked eye. However even with a 56x telescope and 10x binocs we still could not find the moon.
- Seen: Muhammad Sohail (MCW member) from Iquique reported:
In iquique chile the moon is obesrved today, August 18, so on 19/08/2012 is eid in iquique chile.
- Dominican Republic:
- Not Seen: Ahmad Abdul Haqq (MCW member) from Santo Domingo reported:
The moon for the month of Shawwal was not seen in the Dominican Republic. Five Muslims were observing in the town of Bávaro-Punta Cana, 3 Muslims in the city of Santo Domingo, and 2 Muslims in the city of Santiago. The skies were cloudy with almost no visibility. We were syncretized in time observing from 7:10 PM to 7:30 PM, all reports were negative. However, we have received confirmations from neighborign islands Trinidad & Tobago of the moon being sighted, therefore it was decided in concensus with the Shura Council of Higüey-Bávaro-Punta Cana, the Shura Council of Santiago, and the Shura Council of EID (Entidad Islámica Dominicana/Dominican Islamic Entity) that this sighting is valid. Eid is on Sunday, August 19.
- Fiji Islands:
- Seen: M Shamim Ali (MCW member) from Samabula Suva reported:
On August 18, Saturday, the new Moon for the month of Shawwal 1433H has been sighted in the Fiji Islands as announced by Mohammed Taabish Akbar, General Secretary of Fiji Muslim League, (MCW member). Therefore EID-UL-FITR will INSHA ALLAH be celebrated on SUNDAY 19th AUGUST 2012.
See the Official Announcement Click Here.
- Seen: Dr. Muhammad Hafiz (MCW member) from Rose Hall Town, Berbice, reported:
The Hilaal for Shawwal was observed today Saturday, 18th August, 2012 after sunset by the members of Rose Hall Town Masjid and at Number 57 Village, Corentyne, Berbice, Guyana.
- Not Seen: Syed Thanveer Peeran (MCW member) reported:
Moon was not sighted on August 18 in Coimbatore Tamilnadu, INDIA
- Not Seen: Yusuf Idara (MCW member) from New Delhi reported:
Today 18/08/2012 I tried to see the Moon of Shawwal 1433 Hijri at New Delhi, India from 07:00pm to 07:30pm after maghrib salah. Horizon was too cloudy so I did not see the moon today.
- Not Seen: Molvi Iqbalhusen Bokda (MCW member) from Godhra, Gujrat reported:
Reports reaching from various parts of India indicates that Eid will be celebrated in most parts of India on Monday. However Kerala and Coastal Karnataka will be celebrating Eid on Sunday.
**Eid announcements for Sunday:
Coastal Karnataka: Yenepoya Abdullah Kunnhi, President of Zeenath Bakhsh Jum’a Masjid, Mangalore
Kerala: KOZHIKODE KHADI SAYED MOHD KOYA THANGAL, PANAKKADU HAIDARALI SHIHAB THANGAL, KANTHAPURAM AP ABUBACKER MUSLIYAR, CHERUSSERY ZAINUDDEEN MUSLIYAR OF SAMASTHA KERALA JAMIYYATHUL ULAMA, KERALA HILAL COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN AP ABDUL KADIR MOULAVI, JAMAATH FEDERATION PRESIDENT KADAKKAL ABDUL AZEEZ MOULAVI, DHAKSHINA KERALA JAMIYYATHUL ULAMA SECRETARY THODIYUR MOHD KUNHU MOULAVI.
Hilal was seen at Kozhikode Beach.
**Eid announcements for Monday :
Assam: Hilal Committee
Andhra Pradesh: Ruyat-Hilaal Committee of Andhra Pradesh
Delhi: Imam Bukhari
Jammu & Kashmir:
Tamil Nadu: Chief Qazi Dr.Salahuddin Mohammad Ayub announced that eid ul fitr will be celebrated in Tamil nadu on Monday 20 August.
Uttar Pradesh: Shia cleric and vice president AIMPLB Kalbe Sadiq; Markazi Chand Committee led by Khalid Rasheed Farangi Mahali.
West Bengal: Imam Tipu Sultan Mosque Kolkata Nurur Rahman Barkati (source: www.twocircles.net)
- Seen: Ahmad I. Adjie (MCW member) from Bandung reported:
Alhamdulilah the Hilal was SEEN today 18 August 2012 from MedewI beach in Bali island, east of Java, Indonesia. Everyone could make out the crescent even though substantial clouds were present at the horizon where the Sun and Moon set.
- Not Seen: AR Sugeng Riyadi (MCW member) from Surakarta, Java reported:
On Saturday, 18th August 2012; the new Crescent of Syawwal 1433 AH was NOT SEEN from my location, at Assalaam Observatory-Surakarta - Centra Java - Indonesia because the west horizon was hazy. But from other location our friend from Kupang and Makassar and other location have reported that Hilal of Syawwal 1433 AH was SEEN. The ministry of religion on itsbat declared the 1st of Syawwal 1433 AH is on Sunday, 19th August 2012.
- Seen: Sajjad Jaffar reported:
Iran rahbar office announced 1st day of Shawwal is on Sunday Aug 19, 2012. For mre details see http://www.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=13910528001109
- Not Seen: Abdul Rahiman from Amman reported:
I tried to sight the moon both on 17 and 18 along with brothers in Islam with naked eyes ,we could not . Sky was very clear. In Amman majority of the mosque are on top of the mountain.So it is very easy to sight the moon. Double checked with my friend Mr. Hanee Daleel of Astronomical Society of Jordan. He said that according to Astronomical report It cannot be sighted with naked eyes.Since we need to complete 30 days of Ramadan, we are celebrating Eid on 19 AUG Alhamdulillah.
- Not Seen: Bekov Kazbek (MCW member) from Almaty reported:
On Saturday, August 18, 2012, I, Bekov Kazbek,and three more brother could NOT SEE the moon in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Skies were clear with some clouds. We tried to look from 7:45pm to 8:20pm.
- Seen: Mahmood Essa (MCW member) from Mombasa reported:
I am happy to report that the Chief Kadhi of Kenya announced that the Shawaal Crescent was seen in Kenya this Saturday evening, so the first day of Shawaal is tomorrow Sunday 19/08/2012.
- Not Seen: Dr. Hadi Jaafar (MCW member) reported:
Time and Date: 7:15 PM Local Time, Saturday August 18, 2012. This evening, using a 7*50 pair of binoculars, I was unable to sight the moon of the Month of Shawwal. I scanned the clear western horizon from 7:18 PM to 7:28 PM. Temperature was 31 degrees celsius, wind blowing at less than 1 m/s from the west.
- Not Seen (Cloudy) But Govt. announced Sunday Eid: Firdaus Mazlan (MCW member) from Johor Bahru reported:
On Saturday, 18 th August 2012 equal to 29 th Ramadan 1433 H, I with my friend (Mr. Muhammad Zainal Abiden bin Mohamad Hani, Mr. Mohd Fairuz Tira bin Osman, Mr. Muhammad Zaidi bin Zainal, Mr. Mohd Fahmi bin Zakaria, and Mr. Mohd Salim bin Azham) cannot see the new moon either with telescope or with naked eye at Baitul Hilal, Teluk Kemang, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia (02:26:43.0 N , 101:51:16.0 E). It because the horizon is very cloudy.
So, tomorrow, 19 th August 2012 M (Sunday) is still 30th Ramadan 1433 H. Howewer, our goverment already announced that tomorrow is 1st Syawal 1433 H.
- Not Seen: Goolam Tegally (MCW member) from Port Louis reported:
Hilal for Shawwal was NOT sighted this evening in Mauritius due to overcast sky over the island.
We shall be celebrating Eid on Monday 20th Aug thus completing 30 days of Ramadhan.
- Not Seen: Khalid Chraibi (MCW member) from Casablanca reported:
The Moroccan authorities announced on Saturday 18 August evening that the new moon wasn't observed. Therefore, the 1st of Shawwal and Eid al fitr will correspond to Monday 20 August 2012.
- Seen: Ahmed Mohamed Barakah (MCW member) from Windhoek reported:
Alhamdullillah the moon was sighted in Windhoek on Saturday 18th August 2012
Eid was announced to take place Sunday 19th August 2012.
- New Zealand:
- Seen: Wajid Hussain from New Zealand reported:
FIANZ has announced that the Shawal moon has been sighted and Eid will be Inshallah on Sunday 19 August in New Zealand.
- Seen: Jasir Abu Amal from Oman reported:
There have been reports of Moon sightings in Oman on August 18.
Therefore 19th of August 2012 was declared Eid al Fitr in Oman.
Please refer to this news article, I saw that Oman is not yet listed in your list of Eid dates.
- Not Seen: Mufti Sultan Alam (MCW member) from Karachi reported:
Our members tried to sight the moon at nearly 50 places country wide but the moon was not sighted on Saturday, August 18.
It was announced officially that moon was not seen thus Sunday is 30th Ramadan and Eid is on Monday.
However, there are three Eids in Pakistan
Non official-only in some places of KPK (Khyber Pakhtoon Khwa) province-some places i.e. Miranshah, Meer Ali, Hyder-Khel etc.:
For details in Urdu, see
Non official -provincial government of KPK announced+some regions of Balochistan province:
For detail in Urdu, see
In all Pakistan except above areas:
Officially announced by "Central Moon Sighting Committee of Pakistan"
- Not Seen: Abdul Wahab Chang (MCW member) from Jamshoro reported:
It is just to report that today we 3 person went to open area in Jamshoro, Sindh Pakistan to see moon, we were there from 6.58 pm to 7:45 pm, but none of us sighted the moon. and after that our official moon committee also has announce the same. It is to just inform you.
- Seen: Saleh Bhai Bhattay (MCW member) from Panama City reported:
Today, Aug 18, the moon was sighted in Panama. Sunday, Aug 19 is Eid.
- Not Seen: Mohammad Amin Mangorsi (MCW member) from Manila reported:
On Saturday August 18, 2012, I and 3 Ulama could not see moon the in Manila area. The skies were clear. I tried to look from 5:11pm to 6:35pm but could not see the moon.
- Saudi Arabia:
- Eid is on Sunday: Al-Arabiya News reported:
The Muslim feast of Eid al-Fitr marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan is to start on Sunday in Saudi Arabia, the kingdom's religious authorities announced. In a statement by Saudi media, they said the crescent which marks the new lunar month was not sighted on Friday night and that Saturday would as a result be considered the 30th and final day of the dawn-to-dusk month of fasting.
Qatar, Jordan, Egypt, Yemen, Libya and the United Arab Emirates also announced the celebration to be marked on Sunday, following the sighting of the new moon that will mark the beginning of the lunar month of Shawal, which follows the fasting month of Ramadan in the Muslim hijri calendar.
- South Africa:
- Seen: Dr. Abdurrazak Ebrahim (MCW member) from Cape Town reported:
The Shawwaal Hilaal was easily visible to the naked eye this Sat. evening (end of 29th Ramadaan – 18/8/2012). Eid-ul Fitr will be observed in Southern Africa on Sunday, 19th August 2012. The Hilaal was visible in Cape Town and in various other areas of South Africa.
You can follow the live Hilaal Sighting streaming from South Africa as seen by thousands the Hilaal was observed in South Africa today Saturday after sunset.
- Sri Lanka:
- Seen by others: Nular Bary (MCW member) from Kollupitiya beach reported:
Today 29th of Ramadan 1433 (18/08/2012) evening I went to observe the New Moon of Shawwal 1433 to the Kollupitiya beach with my son Ansaf. As soon as we both break Fast at Kollupitiya beach side Mosque came out to scan the western horizon. 7 minutes after Sun set (6;25pm) the Moon age is 18hours & 31mints and the Moon set after 28mints. I took a chance to scanned the sky till 7;55pm. even with my binoculars we couldn't see a trace but the western horizon was little patchy, Any way some groups from Mannar (North Province of Sri Lanka) and Modara (Colombo) witness the sighting of Shawwal New Moon this evening "Masshaallah" Hence, our Hillal Committee & The Grand Mosque of Colombo after thorough inquiry with the observers made an announcement at 8;30pm, in the local media to complete the Holy Month of Ramadan with 29 days and celebrate Eid the 1st Shawwal tomorrow Sunday 19th August 2012. Inshaallah!
- Seen: Zaffar Sheriff (MCW member) from Daressalaam reported:
Age 23h 28m
Crescent was sighted in Daressalaam (Tanzania) at 6.49pm.
Binocular sighting was made at 6.40pm
- Seen: Hamza Rijal (MCW member) from Tiny Island of Zanzibar reported:
On Saturday,August 18, 2012 the New Crescent of Shawal 1433 AH was seen in number of places in tiny island of Zanzibar eventhough the sky was cloudy. Today 19th is an officially declared by the Mufty Office as first day of Eid el Fitri.
- United Arab Emirates:
- Not Seen: Luqmaan Williams (MCW member) from Dubai reported:
Saturday, August 18th in Dubai, United Arab Emirates did not sight the hilal. It was hazy and cloudy.
- Not Seen: Jasir Abu Amal from Umm Al Quwain reported:
Today, August 18, I tried to sight the Hilal in Umm Al Quwain (United Arab Emirates). Sunset: 18:50 - 285 degree (WNW): Moonset: 19:07 - 274 degree (W). Moon age at moonset: 23h 12minutes. I arrived at the sighting spot (coastline facing NW) at 18:48. I stayed there until 19:06.
I was not able to find the hilal with my naked eye or with binoculars. The atmospheric conditions are as such that the sun disappears behind a wall of dense humid air about 5 minutes before sunset.
- Not Seen in UK, but accepted South Africa sighting: Saraj Qazi (MCW member) from Luton, Bedfordshire reported:
Allama Qazi Abdul Aziz Chishti on behalf of Markazi Aulema & Musha'ikh Council UK & Marzkazi Jamat Ahle Sunnat UK & Europe (The largest and oldest Jamaat of ahle sunnah in UK) announced the following:
“On following the Sunnah of RasoolAllah SAW and the Shariah, there has been a confirmed sighting of the moon in south Africa. We therefore announce that Eid Ul Fitr Will be celebrated in UK inshAllah on Sunday 19th August 2012.
- Not Seen in UK, but accepted South Africa sighting: Qamar Uddin (MCW member) from York reported:
On Saturday, 18 August 2012 (29 Ramadan 1433 AH) many people from throughout UK have attempted to sight the crescent moon (Hilal) of Ramadan after sunset. None of the groups were able to sight the Hilal, even though many places had clear sky conditions.
However, we have received reliable sighting reports (Muhaqaq-Ruyat-Basari) from Jamiat-e-Ulama South Africa of positive sightings from many places. Therefore, the Wifaq/Batley Ulama have decided that the month of Ramadan 1433 AH will have 29 days and the month of Shawwal 1433 AH will start from (and Eid-ul-Fitr will be on) Sunday 19 August 2012, Insha-Allah.
Note that Saudi Arabia did not sight the Hilal, but decided Eid-ul-Fitr will be on Sunday 19 August 2012, based on 30-days completion of the month.
- Not Seen: Javad Torabinejad (MCW member) from Blacksburg VA reported:
This evening (Saturday, August 18, 2012), the crescent moon of Shawwal was not sighted in Blacksburg, VA (Lat: 37° 15' 40" N, Lng: 80° 26' 56" W, and elevation: 646 meters). My daughter and I arrived at our sighting location at 7:53 pm EDT (sunset: 8:09 pm), using a pair of 10X50 binoculars, I started scanning the mostly cloudy and hazy western horizon with no success. We I stayed there till 8:30 pm (moonset: 8:28 pm). At 8:15 pm, the temperature, dew point, relative humidity, and pressure were 73.4 F, 62.6 F, 69%, and 29.98 in, respectively.
- Seen in Mexico: Mohamedraza H.Janmohamed (MCW member) from Sanford FL reported:
The Moonsighting Sub-committee wishes to inform the community that based on confirmed reports of sighting the new crescent for the month in Mexico, on Saturday, August 18, 2012 EID-UL-FITR – 1st Day of Mahe Shawwal, 1433 is established as SUNDAY, AUGUST 19TH, 2012.
- Not Seen: Dr. Aunali S Khaku (MCW member) from Gainesville FL reported:
We would like to report that we did not see the moon in Gainesville, FL. 3 of us Dr. Aunali Khaku (MCW member), Dr. Ghulam Hasnein and Dr Farzad Pakdel went out to sight the moon from 7PM (before sunset) till a little after sunset. Conditions were relatively cloudy. Binoculars were used, but moon was not sighted.
- Not Seen, but celebrate Eid by ISNA Announcement: Imam Salim Chishti (MCW member) from New Lebanon NY reported:
Two people tried to see the Hilal of Shawwal in New Lebanon, New York this evening (Saturday) and although the sky was quite clear and the air cool and crisp we were not able to see it. Here we will celebrate Eid al Fitr tomorrow (Sunday) as per the FCNA decision and sighting in Texas.
- Seen: A Muslim Brother from Washington DC reported:
For the Shawwal crescent I took this photo this evening 8/18/2012 at 7:47pm in Washington, D.C. USA.
. [Moonsighting.com added this photo to show the world how people mistake airplane or smoke of a jet for the Hilal. This is certainly not the Hilal].
- Not Seen: Qazi Azam (MCW member) from New Haven CT reported:
We (9 adults and one child) went to Fort Nathan Haile Park, Woodward Road, New Haven, Connecticut, for moon observation. We reached there at 7:15. Sunset was at 7:46 pm and moonset was at 7:58pm (difference of 12 minutes). We had i phone with the ap showing coordinates of moon on the horizon. We kept on looking at the horizon but could not see the moon even with the new technologies.
- Not Seen, but accepted Caribbean sighting: Temoor Shouib from Chicago reported:
Tonight it was not possible to see the moon due to the clouds. However this Chicago Hilal Comittee responsible for the suburban areas of Chicago, made the following announcement.
The Chicago Hilal Committee received authentic moon sighting reports from the Carribeans tonight, Saturday, August 18, 2012. Shawwal 1, 1433 (Eid-ul-Fitr) will be Sunday, August 19th. Ramadan will end with 29 days and Shawwal will begin tomorrow, Sunday, August 19th.
- Not Seen: Mohammed Yahya Shaikh (MCW member) from Play Del Rey, CA reported:
The moon for Shawwal was not seen from Play Del Rey, CA on August 18th 2012. Ten brothers started scanning the horizon from 7:35 pm local time until 8:05 pm (moon set). The lower horizon was excessively hazy and optical aid (10X42 binos) did not help either.
- Not Seen: Mirza Shahid Basravi (MCW member) from Irvine CA reported:
On Saturday Aug 18, 2012, 7:30pm to 8:05pm I was looking for the Shawwal 1433AH crescent with a 7 x 35 binocular around 5 Alt and 268 AZ in Irvine CA, at 100 ft above sea Level. At the same time my brothers Habib Basravi was looking in Gelndale, Ca at 1500 ft above sea level, and Asad Basravi in Norco Hills, Ca at aprox 1000ft above sea level. None of us could see the crescent, primarily because the haze on the western sky was too thick. Lesson for next time: In situation like today's, when the new moon was already 33 hrs old, we should make an attempt to spot it with a binocular before the sunset. Caution: Never point the binocular towards the sun and never hand the binocular to children or novices before sunset.
- Not Seen: Muzzammil Dadabhoy (MCW member) from Huntington Beach CA reported:
Muzzammil Dadabhoy (28), Sulaimaan Dadabhoy (31), Jonathan Yahyaa Walker (31) all DID NOT SEE THE MOON.
LOCATION: Top of The World Park, 21601 Treetop Ln, Laguna Beach, CA 92651
ELEVATION: 1025 feet approximately
SUNSET: 7:34 p.m. in direction 286* West-Northwest (approximately)
MOONRISE: 7:23 a.m. in direction 85* East
MOONSET: 8:01 p.m. in direction 272* West
DATE: Saturday, August 18, 2012
TIME BEGAN LOOKING: 7:25
TIME ENDED LOOKING: 8:10
SKY CONDITIONS: Clear skies but hazy right above the horizon.
- Seen: Ayub Mahomed (MCW member) from Harare reported:
On Saturday, August 18, the moon was sighted in harare and other centres in Zimbabwe at approximately 6pm local time. Eid will be celebrated on Sunday 19th August, inshallah.
Sunday, 19 August 2012:
- Seen: Mohammed Mohsin Khan (MCW member) from Mumbai reported:
Today Sunday 19 August 2012 / 29 Ramadan 1433 in most parts of India. here in Mumbai sunset was at 7:03 L.T and moonset was at 8:06 L.T, Sky was heavily cloudy but the crescent has been sighted in Mumbai and in most parts of India . Moon-sighting committee have officially announced that Sunday 19 August 2012 was 29th Ramadan 1433 and 1st Shawwaal 1433 will fall on Monday 20th August 2012. So Alhamdulillah this time in India there is no dispute over Eid and Eid-ul-Fitr will be celebrated on Monday 20th August 2012.
- Seen: M Siddik Nadvi (MCW member) from Ahmedabad, Gujrat reported:
On Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 crescent is seen and official anouncemetnt is done by Gujarat Chand comitee at 7.30
- Seen: Ahmad I. Adjie (MCW member) from Bandung reported:
Ahmad I Adjie of Bandung, Indonesia and everyone present today 19 August 2012 has SEEN the Moon crescent from Patra Beach, Tuban, near Denpasar Airport in the south of Bali island. This sighting is not intended for determining date for Eid but as practice for apprentice sighters and to contribute to moonsighting.com.
- Seen: AR Sugeng Riyadi (MCW member) from Surakarta, Java reported:
On 19th August 2012 the crescent was seen from Assalaam Observatory, Central Java-Indonesia. The sky was clear so the eye aid was not needed. The photo was taken with Vixen telescope ED81S and Canon EOS 1000D.
- Seen: Abdulaziz Al-Sumait (MCW member) from Kuwait reported:
While i was driving on a clear evening at 18:50 August 19th 2012 near Bayan Palace Kuwait, I saw Hilal of Shawwal very Sharp and Glorious, horns at 1:30 and 7:30; Th sunset in Kuwait was at 18:29 .
- Seen: Jaweed Iqbal Jannoo (MCW member) from Curepipe reported:
THE NEW CRESENT SHAWAL HAS BEEN SIGHTED AT 18HR33 FOR 30 SECONDS ONLY WEATHER CONDITION CLOUDY WITH ORIENTATION 4 OCLOCK AND 8 OCLOCK IT HAS BEEN SEEN BY ME ONLY AND ALLAH IS MY WITNESS.
- Saudi Arabia:
- Seen: Luqmaan Williams (MCW member) from Ta'if reported:
Sunday, August 19th. In Dubai, United Arab Emirates, I spotted the hilal, even though it was slightly cloudy and hazy.
- United Arab Emirates:
- Not Seen yesterday, but seen today: Mohammad Hashim (MCW member) from Abu Dhabi reported:
On Saturday, 18 Aug 2012, I could not see the moon in Abudhabi, UAE. Skies were clear. I tried to look from 1900 (time of maghrib) to 1930 , but could not see the moon.
On Sunday, 19 Aug 2012, hilal was easily sighted, same place and same time from 1905 onwards.
OFFICIAL 1st Day of Shawwal in Different Countries
Saturday, 18 August 2012:
- Pakistan (Some areas - Local Sighting)
Sunday, 19 August 2012:
- Afghanistan (Follow Saudi)
- Albania (Follow Saudi)
- Algeria (Follow Saudi)
- Armenia (Follow Saudi)
- Australia (Local Sighting)
- Austria (Follow Saudi)
- Azerbaijan (Follow Saudi)
- Bahrian (Follow Saudi)
- Bangladesh (Some areas follow Saudi)
- Barbados (Seen in neighboring Island)
- Belgium (Follow Saudi)
- Bolivia (Follow Saudi)
- Bosnia and Hercegovina (Follow Saudi)
- Bulgaria (Follow Saudi)
- Canada (Fiqh Council of North America and Muslim Association of Canada, Alberta)
- Canada (Shi'aa Community - Announced by Grand Ayatollah Hosseini Nassab, Also Hilal Committee of Canada)
- Chechnia (Follow Saudi)
- China (30 day completion)
- Cosovo (Follow Saudi)
- Denmark (Follow Saudi)
- Egypt (Moon Born before sunset & moon sets at least 5 minutes after sunset)
- Fiji Islands (Local Sighting)
- Finland (Follow Saudi)
- France (Follow European Council of Fatwa & Research (ECFR))
- Georgia (Follow Saudi)
- Germany (Follow ECFR)
- Guyana (Local Sighting)
- Hungary (Follow Saudi)
- Iceland (Follow Saudi or 30 daycompletion)
- India (Some parts of India - Local Sighting)
- Indonesia (Local sighting)
- Iran (Local Sighting or 30 day completion)
- Ireland (Follow Saudi)
- Italy (Follow Saudi)
- Jordan (Follow Saudi)
- Kazakhstan (Calculations)
- Kenya (Local Sighting)
- Kuwait (Follow Saudi)
- Kyrgizstan (Follow Saudi)
- Lebanon (Follow Saudi)
- Libya (Follow Saudi)
- Luxembourg (Follow ECFR)
- Malaysia (Age > 8 hours, altitude > 2°, elongation > 3°)
- Mauritania (Follow Saudi)
- Montenegro (Follow Saudi)
- Namibia (Local Sighting)
- Netherlands (Follow Saudi)
- New Zealand (Local Sighting)
- Norway (Decsion of Islamic Council of Norway according to agreed upon method, to follow annoncement from any Muslim country, and reject annoncement if they are before Calculations of easy sightabilty)
- Norway (Some Follow Saudi)
- Oman (Local Sighting)
- Pakistan (Some areas - Local Sighting)
- Palestine (Follow Saudi)
- Panama (Local Sighting)
- Philippines (Follow Saudi)
- Qatar (Follow Saudi)
- Romania (Follow Saudi)
- Russia (Follow Saudi)
- Saudi Arabia (30 day completion - Official Announcement)
- Spain (Follow Saudi)
- Sri Lanka (Local Sighting)
- Sudan (Follow Saudi)
- Sweden (Follow Saudi)
- Switzerland (Follow Saudi)
- Syria (Follow Saudi)
- Taiwan (Follow Saudi)
- Tajikistan (Follow Saudi)
- Tatarstan (Follow Saudi)
- Tunisia (Criteria of age, or altitude, or sunset-moonset lag)
- Turkey (Calculations)
- Turkmenistan (Follow Saudi)
- U.A.E. (Follow Saudi)
- UK (Follow Saudi) [Coordination Committee of Major Islamic Centres of London, The central Moon Sighting Committee of Great Britain]
- UK (30 days completion or Sighting from other country) [Wifaaqul ulama , Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat]
- USA (Fiqh Council of North America/Islamic Society of North America (Calculations)
- USA (Local Sighting) [Shi'aa Community, Houston Hilal Committee, Chicago Hilal Committee]
- Uzbekistan (Follow Saudi)
- Yemen (Follow Saudi)
Monday, 20 August 2012:
- Bangladesh (Local Sighting)
- Brunei (Local Sighting)
- India (Most of India - Local Sighting)
- Mauritius (Local Sighting)
- Morocco (Local Sighting)
- Pakistan (Local Sighting or 30 day completion)
Back to Top