Moonsighting for Shawwal 1434
MakkahCalendar.org - Eid al-Fitr (Note that this is an Independent Web site)
According to the Australian Mufti Dr. Ibrahim Abu Muhammed, and based on Astronomical Calculation it was declared that Eid will start on Thursday.
The Juristic Committee of the Institution of His Eminence, the Religious Authority, Sayyed Muhammad Hussein Fadlullah (ra), announced that Thursday, August 08, 2013 is the first day of the blessed Eid of Al-Fitr 1434 H. according to the jurisprudential opinion of the late Sayyed and based on the scientific data and precise astronomical calculations it obtained that inspire trust concerning the birth of the crescent and the ability of sighting it whether by the naked eye or by the aid of telescopes in many regions of the world. Therefore, Wednesday, August 07, 2013 is the last day of the month of Ramadan, which we ask Allah to return upon the Islamic nation with all the good, unity and stability.
The Astronomical New Moon is on August 6, 2013 (Tuesday) at 21:51 UT. This moon is not visible anywhere on August 6. On August 7, it may be visible by naked eye in South America and Polynesian Islands. On August 7, with optical aids, it is possible to see in South Africa, and in Guyana South America. On August 7, with telescope, it is even possible to see in San Diego area.
On August 8, it is visible everywhere except Northern Asia and Europe. (See visibility curves).
The earliest reported authentic sighting of the new crescent was on August 7, 2013 from Iquique, Chile.
Tuesday, 6 August 2013:
No Sighting Reports Were Expected snd None Received
Wednesday, 7 August 2013:
- Not Seen: Abbas Aly (MCW member) from Annangrove NSW reported
No moon sighted in Sydney; furthermore heavy cloud and rain. No sighting has been reported from other areas as yet.
Observatory information can be found on http://www.sydneyobservatory.com.au/category/astronomy/information/
No moon sighting in NSW, VIC, and QLD either.
- Not Seen: Engr Manzoor A Mian (MCW member) from Melbourne, VIC reported:
Hilal is not sighted in Perth and anywhere in Australia, Eid will be on Friday the 9th of August 2013.
- Not Seen: Dr. Shabbir Ahmed (MCW member) Imam of Rooty Hill Mosque Sydney, NSW reported:
On Wednesday, 7th August 2013, the Hilal of SHAWWAAL 1434 has not been sighted anywhere with in Australia. Therefore, the Hilal Committee and Majlisul Ulama' of Australia have declared that the month of SHAWWAAL will commence as of Friday, 9th August 2013.
- Seen: Makkah Calendar website (http://www.makkahcalendar.org/en/eid-al-fitr-2013.php) provided a photograph:
The caption is given as: "This Photograph was taken on 07-08-2013 by Mr. Elvio Alanís & Mrs. Andrea Monaldi from Salta, Argentina. The location of the site was 24º 41’ S and 65º 20’ W." See photo on the right.
- Not Seen: Farid Ahmed Degia (MCW member) reported:
On August 7, Wednesday, Hilal for the month of Shawwal was not seen here in Barbados the most Easterly Island of the West Indies. Although observations were in the correct manner as prescribed i.e. via naked eye. I must also report that it was a cloudy sky this evening. Therefore we shall fast 30 days of Ramadhan and Eid Ul Fitr will be celebrated on the Eid of the Week Insha Allah on Friday 9th August 2013.
- Not Seen: Dr. Mohammed Hussain Ahmad (MCW member) from Brunei Darussalam reported:
The new moon was not sighted from Brunei (4° 55' North and 114° 55' East) on the evening of Wednesday, 07 August 2013. This was officially announced through the National TV and Radio stations. Therefore, tomorrow, Thursday, 08 August 2013 is the completion of 30 days for the month of Ramadan in Brunei. Hence, 1st of Shawwal 1434 will commence on Friday, 09 August 2013.
- Seen in Chile: Baig Muhammad Tamachi (MCW member) from Peterborough Ontario reported:
Heavy cloud cover in South-Westerly horizon & local thunder storm in the entire area prevented sighting of the Shawwal 1434 Hilal in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada on Wednesday, 7th of August, 2013. As well, unfavourable Local Sun Set Time (20:30pm) & Moon Set Time (20:31pm), respectively, contributed to no sighting of the Hilal, as expected! However, Hilal Sighting from Iquique, Chile is welcome news, AL-Hamdhulillah!!
- Seen in Chile: Hilal Committee of Toronto reported:
Hilal committee of Toronto declared Eid on Thursday 8 August based on sighting confirmed from chile
- Not Seen: Hilal ibn Muhammad (MCW member) from Calgary Alberta reported:
I went to sight the moon with another brother at around 8:15pm until moonset 9:04pm MST time in Calgary Alberta Canada. The weather conditions did not permit us to sight the moon of Shawwal due to complete overcast and rain. According to the Sunnah of the Messenger (pbuh) we will complete 30 days of Ramadhan. InshaAllah Shawwal 1434AH will begin on Friday August 9th, 2013. Eid Mubarak!!
- Not Seen: Eric Engler and Dr. Laura Zajchowski(MCW member) from Calgary Alberta reported:
Negative moon sighting report for Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Overcast conditions prevented observation of the Western horizon.
Atmospheric conditions: 14 degrees Celsius, 102.2 KPa (rising), 11.3 Km; visibility, 1600 meter; cloud ceiling at 8/8 Oktra; 99% humidity and
- Seen: Muhammad Sohail (MCW member) from Iquique reported:
I saw the moon tonight, Wednesday, August 7, with naked eye around 6:59 pm. There were tow other prople with me who saw the moon.
The moon was quite new, and was like an old palm leaf. We finished Maghrib, and moon was going to disappear soon.
- Not Seen: Dr. Muhammad Hafiz (MCW member) from Rose Hall Town, Berbice, reported:
The members of the Rose Hall Town Masjid in Guyana tried to observe the Hilaal today the 29th of Ramadan after sunset. No Hilaal was observed despite the horizon having scattered clouds.
There was an erroneous Hilaal observation report some where in Metamezar, Guyana but this was an error. For the most part the majority of Muslims in Guyana will be completing 30 days of Ramadan and will be celebrating Eid ul Fitir on Friday, 9th August, 2013.
- Not Seen: Imam Shiraz Ali from Trinidad reported:
On Wednesday, August 7, there were reports that the moon was seen in Guyana but sighting was rejected by Guyanese scholars. Therefore we in Trinidad are fasting.
In Kappad, Kerala, India, they officially announced as moon is sighted and hilal committees and qazis declared Eid as Thursday in Kerala. [In the absence of details Moonsighting.com thinks these are erroneous sightings]
- Not Seen: M. Siddik Nadvi (MCW member) from Ahmedabad, Gujrat reported:
Today Monday 7th August, 2013 = 28 Ramdan. 1434, we tried to see the crescent of Shawal 1434 Hijri at our Institute JAMIA KANZUL ULOOM at 7.30 pm up to 7.55 pm horizon was clear but the crescent was not seen and there is no positive reporting from all over India.
- Not Seen: Abdurrahman R. Shaikh (MCW member) from Patan, Gujrat reported:
Today, 7 Aug, 2013, here 28 Ramadan, I tried to see the moon in our Islami institute Madrasa Kanze Marghoob, Patan around 7:30 to 7:45, but could not see the moon. The sky is also clear.
- Not Seen: Yusuf Idara (MCW member) from New Delhi reported:
Today Tuesday 07, August 2013 = 28 Ramadan 1434 Hijri, I, Yusuf Idara tried to sight the Moon of The Month of Shawwal 1434 Hijri, at New Delhi, India from 07:00 pm to 07:30 pm horizon too cloudy so the moon was not sighted.
- Not Seen: Syed Thanveer Peeran (MCW member) from Kolkata reported:
Moon was not sighted today i.e on August, 07th 2013 anywhere in Coimbtaore, of Tamilnadu state , India.
- Not Seen: M. M. Surajwala (MCW member) from Bharuch, Gujrat reported:
On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 (28th Ramadan, 1434 AH), we could not see the moon in Bharuch, India. Skies were Slightly Cloudy. I tried to look from 7:20pm to 7:45pm.
- Not Seen: Ahmad I. Adjie (MCW member) from Bandung reported:
Hilal was NOT SEEN from the northern hills of Bandung today, 7 August 2013, as reported also by Indonesian Crescent observation organization RHI.
Regardless of negative sighting, the government has decided by way if Ithbat Court to accept a handful of positive sightings from across Indonesia, mostly said to be by naked eye, although some are using image-processed from optical aid photographs of the sky, showing a hint of the moon-disc with very slight crescent to one side. [In the absence of details Moonsighting.com thinks these are either false witnesses or CCD imaging that has not been accepted by Ulamaa' yet] For those who follow dating by moonsighting in Indonesia, today Maghrib was 29 Ramadhan so we will be setting 1st Shawwal to be Friday, 9th August 2013. Ied Mubarak!
Here are the facts of the 7 August Hilal sighting official government decision:
1. Almost all naked eye sightings has been rejected by the government 'Ithbat Court'. This means the government knows an erroneus naked eye sighting if they come across one.
2. There was only one naked eye sighting claim which was neither rejected nor used for basis of declaring Eid.
3. All accepted sightings are by way of CCD imaging, of which two of them I include the processed images in this email.
4. BOTH CCD imaging results are from photos of the moon during broad daylight, one near 4 pm and the other 6 pm (but not yet Maghrib at that area, Makassar).
5. Both are under the directives of Indonesia's LAPAN body, which is Indonesia's 'NASA'.
- Not Seen: Mahmood Essa (MCW member) from Mombasa reported:
The Shawwal Crescent was not seen here in Kenya this Wednesday evening, so Insha Allah, we will complete 30 days of Ramadhan
tomorrow, Thursday 08/08/13 and Insha Allah, we will celebrate Eid Ul Fitr on Friday 09/08/13, which will be the first day of Shawwal.
- Not Seen: Nuri Alfasi reported:
I am reporting to you that Fatwa constitution in Libya just announced that tomorrow is the official first day of Shawwal. In the report there was no one in Libya had sighted the moon. The declaration is based on that the moon did set after the sun by reasonable time and the other declaration by neighbor countries.
- Not Seen: Kamri Paee (MCW member) from Kota Kinabalu Sabah reported:
On wednesday August 07, 2013 , Me myself and 3 of my colleaque try to look for the crescent at observation point Kota Kinabalu sabah, Malaysia. The moon cannot be seen due to thick clouds..As usual and official anouncement from our Local authority body Eid will fall on 8th august 2013 ) 1st Shawal 1434.
- Not Seen: Mohamad Zafir Nadzri (MCW member) from Telok Kemang reported:
Reporting from BaitulHilal, Teluk Kemang, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia (02:26:43.0 N , 101:51:16.0 E). The skies are too cloudy, very hard to see crescent visibility. We together do a observation with In a presence of The Eminence YAM TUNKU BESAR SERI MENANTI.; in a presence of Negeri Sembilan's Mufti; and many officials officer, and public.
Government Of Malaysia, using "Imkanurrukyah"; (moon age > 8hours OR altitude > 2°, elongation > 3°). So, tomorrow, Thursday 8 August is a first Syawal.
- Not Seen: Samser Ameeruddeen (MCW member) from Port Louis reported:
No Hilal sighting today Wed 7th Aug, means Mauritius will complete the 30 days of Ramadan tomorrow Incha Allah and we’ll have two khutbas on Friday. So Eid will be on Friday 9th Aug.
- Not Seen: Nissar Ahmad (MCW member) from Port Louis reported:
On Wednesday 07 August 2013, the new moon was not visible in Mauritius. Sky was cloudy/rainy all over the Island. Members of Jummah Masjid Hilal Commitee were positioned in strategic places of the Island. Hence Thursday 08 August 2013 will be the 30th day of Ramadhaan 1434 and Friday 09 August 2013 will be Eid Ul Fitr.
- Not Seen: Khalid Chraibi (MCW member) from Casablanca reported:
The Moroccan authorities have just announced that the new moon of Shawwal wasn't observed today. Eid al Fitr will be on Friday 9 August 2013
- Not Seen: Ahmed Mohamed Barakah (MCW member) from Windhoek reported:
Eid mubaruk eid was celebrated on Friday after 30days of Ramadan. No sighting were reported on Wednesday.
- Not Seen: but Seen Elseweher: AbdulGhaniy Tajuddin MCW member) from Zaria, Kaduna State
On Wednesday (7/8/2013=29/9/1434), I looked for the new crescent but the sky is cloudy & rainy from 6pm till 10pm in Zaria, Nigeria.
Reports was received that the new crescent was seen in some parts of the North; and the Sultan of Sokoto (Nigeria) in consultations Islamic Scholars declared Thursday 8/8/2013 as the 1st day of Shawwal, 1434AH.
- Not Seen: Mohammed Ghammari from Oman reported:
Eid on Friday after 30 days completion. I just want report that moon is thoughly sighted every month in Oman. We do our best to be as accurate as possible relying on astronomical calculations and sunnah. If astronomical calculation say it is impossible to see the new moon we declare the start of the month from the beginning and no need to sight the new moon, e.g. RAMADHAN 1434. While if astronomical calculations indicate it is possible to sight the new moon even if it is difficult, then we call everybody to sight the new moon as well as panel of experts in different oman cities to sight it.
Despite that the new moon of Shawwal 1434 is extremely difficult to be sighted, we called people to sight it last evenning and the New Moon is reported NOT SEEN which agrees with your expectation.
To let you know that Oman is very careful about moonsighting and the only arabian Gulf country that dont follow Saudi arabia because they have different criteria.
- Saudi Arabia:
- Seen by others: Mrs. Lubna Shawly (MCW member) from Jiddah reported:
Saudi Arabia has declared in its courts that the new moon was seen by many citizens in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and the 1st day of Shawwal (Eid)1434 Hijrah, will be corresponding to Thursday the 8th of August 2013. [In the absence of details Moonsighting.com thinks these are erroneous sightings]
- Seen by others: Muhammad H Zulqarnain (MCW member) from Riyadh reported:
Saudi Arabia announces sighting of Shawwal moon and Eid tomorrow, Thursday.
وصحبه وبعد :
فقد ثبت لدى
هلال شهر شوال
1434هـ مساء هذا
بشهادة عدد من
- Not Seen: Ibrahima Thierno LO (MCW member) from Dakar reported:
The sky was totally cloudy, the atmospheric condition was very hazy, the crescent was not seen by naked eye.
"The national moon sighting committee announced we will complete 30 days and Eid will be on Friday"
- South Africa:
- Not Seen: Shakil Vayani (MCW member) from Witbank reported:
At 6.15pm 7th August 2013, in Witbank, South Africa, the Moon has NOT been sighted.
- Not Seen: Dr. Abdurrazak Ebrahim (MCW member) from Cape Town reported:
The Shawwaal Hilaal was not sighted anywhere in Southern Africa this Wednesday evening (07/08/2013 – end of 29 Ramadaan) neither by naked eye, binoculars, nor telescope. Eid-ul Fitr is on Friday, 09/08/2013.
- Not Seen: Rashid Motala (MCW member) from Durban reported:
On the evening of Wednesday 7th August 2013, the Hilaal was NOT sighted in South Africa. The 1st Shawwal 1434 corresponds to Friday, 9th August 2013.
- Not Seen: Gabriel Jairodín Riaza (MCW member) from Madrid reported:
The Union of Islamic Communities of Spain (ucide.org), Islamic Commission of Spain, announces that Thursday, August 08, 2013, is the first day of Shawwal 1434 and Eid ul-Fitr. Click here
- Sri Lanka:
- Not Seen: Mr. Mohamed Shakir (MCW member) from Galle reported:
We tried to see the Crescent of Shawwal. The crescent was not seen by us, but According to Sri Lanka Thouheedh Jamaath (SLTJ) the Cresent was seen in Kinniya and Puttalam and they have declared the Eid tomorrow. [In the absence of details Moonsighting.com thinks these are erroneous sightings]
- Not Seen: Haji Muhammad Suhail Omar Patel reported:
On Wednesday, 7th August 2013, the Hilal of SHAWWAAL 1434 has not been sighted anywhere with in Sri Lanka. Therefore, the Hilal Committee and Memon Hilal Committee have declared that the month of SHAWWAAL will commence as of Friday, 9th August 2013.
- Not Seen: Nular Bary (MCW member) from Colombo reported:
Today 29th Ramadan 1434 (7/8/2013) evening the Colombo western sky was cloudy anyway no chance to sight the Hilal this evening as the Moonset 14mints after sunset (6;29PM.) and the Moon age was 15h 07m at the time of Sunset. Our Hilal committee of Sri Lanka, Jamiyathul ulama & muslim cultural affairs ministry jointly call for a meeting after Maharib to decide the day for Eid dul fithur 1st.Shawwal. A person from Kinnya eastern city of Sri Lanka claimed that he sighted the New Moon of Shawwal this evening so our committee cross examined his sighting (over the phone) it turn to be a falls sighting. I was at the meeting too. Hence our Hilal committe unanimously decided to complete the month of Ramadan with 30days and celebrate the Eid dul fithur on Friday the 9th. of August 2013. "In Sha Allah"
- Trinidad and Tobago:
- Not Seen: Isa Mohammed (MCW member) from Chguanas reported:
I was unable to sight the moon from Chaguanas, Trinidad and Tobago, on August 7th, 2013, neither by naked eye, nor telescope. There was significant cloud cover. All major organisations in Trinidad reported that the moon was not seen.
- Not Seen: Muhammed Cevad Turan from Intanbul reported:
I, and Sheikh Hamit Turan, and Sheik Ali Salmanli tried to observe the crescent of the new moon via binocular but we couldn't as expected. It was clear, cloudless day.
- Not Seen: Luqmaan Williams (MCW member) from Istanbul reported:
On Wednesday, August 7, 2013, I did not witness the crescent in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Not Seen: Mohammad Ali Javed (MCW member) from Luton, Bedfordshire reported:
Mohammad Ali Javed (MCW Member) from Luton, Bedfordshire, UK reported: Moon has NOT been sighted in the UK, Morocco and South Africa. We will complete 30 days Ramadan and Eid-ul-Fitr will be celebrated on Friday 9th August 2013.
Markazi Jamaat e Ahle Sunnah UK has announced that Eid will be on 9th August.
- Not Seen: Qamar Uddin (MCW member) from York reported:
On Wednesday 7 August 2013 (29 Ramadan 1434 AH) many people from throughout the UK have attempted to sight the crescent moon (Hilal) of Shawwal after sunset. None of the groups were able to sight the Hilal even though many places had clear sky conditions.
We have not received any reliable sighting report (Muhaqaq-Ruyat-Basari) from east of the UK/Morocco either. Both the Jamiat-e-Ulama South Africa and Morocco Awqaf Ministry have reported negative sightings.
Therefore, the Wifaqul Ulama have decided that the month of Ramadan 1434 AH will complete 30-days and the month of Shawwal (Eid-ul Fitr) 1434 AH will start from Friday 9 August 2013, Insha-Allah.
- Not Seen: Juned Patel (MCW member) from Bolton Lancshire reported:
On Wednesday 07 August 2013 (29 Ramadan 1434 AH) between 20:30 & 21:20 GMT (Local Sunset Time was 20:54 & Moon Set Time was 20:33) from High Location near Bolton, we attempted to sight the crescent moon (Hilal) of Shawwal with group of Seven people. None of us were able to sight the Hilal, even though the condition of the sky was clear.
- Not Seen: Hamid Quraishi (MCW member) from Winona MN reported:
I and two other person went on garvin heights, highest elevation in Winona to see the crescent moon. We were unable to see the moon because of scattered clouds in the sky. We stayed couple of hours, and the temp. was 74 degrees. How ever we are going to celebrate eid ul fitre Thursday, August 8, 2013 at Islamic center of Winona based on the moon sighting information available from all over the world.
- Not Seen: Mahfuz Rahman, (MCW member) from Tucker GA reported:
On August 7, cloudy sky. We, seven of us, could not see the moon.
- Not Seen: Dr. Javad Torabinejad (MCW member) from Blacksburg VA reported:
This evening (Wednesday, August 07, 2013), the crescent moon of Shawwal was not sighted in Blacksburg, VA (Lat: 37° 15' 40" N, Lng: 80° 26' 56" W, and elevation: 646 meters). The western horizon was cloudy. I arrived at my sighting location at 8:20 pm EDT (sunset: 8:22 pm). I stayed there till 8:35 pm (moonset: 8:32 pm). At 8:35 pm, the temperature, dew point, relative humidity, and pressure were 71.6 F, 69.8 F, 94%, and 30.14 in, respectively.
- Not Seen: Muzzammil Dadabhoy (MCW member) from Huntington Beach CA reported:
On Wednesday, August 07, 2013, we (3 Muslims) DID NOT SEE THE MOON in Yorba Linda, CA around 20:00. Skies were relatively clear and we looked from 19:48 until 20:16.
- Not Seen: Abdur Rahmaan Ali (MCW member) from San Bernardino CA reported:
We have not seen the Hilal from Dar Al Uloom Al Islamiyah of America which is located in San Bernardino, CA. There are no positive reports from anywhere in America for the sighting of the Hilal. Therefore we will be completing 30 days of Ramadan and Insha'Allah the 1st of Shawwal will be on Friday. Eid Mubarak.
- Not Seen: Mohammed Yahya Shaikh (MCW member) from Huntington Beach CA reported:
The moon for Shawwal was not seen today August 7th 2013 in Huntington Beach, Ca. We tried to sight the hilal from 7:40 PM PST to 8:05 PM PST. Optical aid did not help either. The sky was reasonably conducive for hilal sighting.
- Not Seen: Hilal Sighting Committee of North America reported:
Due to no positive naked-eye Hilal sighting on (29th Ramadan 1434H - August 7th 2013G) in Mainland USA, HSCNA announces completion of 30 days of Ramadan and start of Shawwaal 1434Hfrom August 9th, 2013G in North America.
LATEST UPDATE Seen elsewhere:
Due to positive sighting on (29th Ramadan 1434H - August 7th 2013G) (recently received Positive Hilal Sighting Reports from California USA), HSCNA announces start of Shawwaal 1434H from August 8th, 2013 in North America. [An expert evaluated these claims and found it was not the moon they saw]
- Seen: Chicago Hilal Committee reported:
We have received authentic sighting reports from Arizona and California. These reports were received after we made the decision earlier. We apologize for any inconvenience.
The committee reversed their earlier decision since confirmed sighting reports came back Phoenix, Arizonia as well as Los Angeles and Stockton, California. [An expert evaluated these claims and found it was not the moon they saw]
- Not Seen: Hussaini Islamic Center, Florida reported:
The Moonsighting Sub-committee wishes to inform the community that there were sighting reports of the new crescent on Wednesday and therefore, upon completion of 30 days, EID-UL-FITR, the 1st Day of Mahe Shawwal, 1434 AH is established as FRIDAY, AUGUST 9TH, 2013.
- Not Seen: Mirza Shahid Basravi (MCW member) from Irvine CA reported:
We were NOT able to site the New Crescent in Irvine, California, on Wednesday August 7, 2013, for Shawwal 1434 Hijri.. Details of our observation are as following: I went to a spot in Turtle Rock area with one other friend, to try to spot the New Crescent. This was a hilly location 300 to 400 feet above sea level. The western sky was quite clear of obstruction from trees and buildings, and the coastal haze was no more than 3 degrees above the horizon. We used a pair 7 x 35 binoculars, and all the necessary data from the program, MoonCalc. Since the visibility program showed the Moon’s altitude, this evening, was only approx 3.5 degrees above the Sun’s altitude, we went to the location 25 minutes before sunset, to see if we could see the Crescent, with the binoculars, before it went down into the coastal haze. Sunset was at 7:46 pm. We stayed at the location till moonset, which was at 8:03pm, but we were not able to see the crescent.
- Not Seen: Ayub Mahomed (MCW member) from Harare reported:
Moon wasnot sighted in Zimbabwe on August 7. Eid will be celebrated on Friday 9th August inshallah.
Thursday, 8 August 2013:
- Seen: Abdullah Ahmad from Sydney, NSW reported:
Me and two others have seen the crescent of the new moon at around 5:45pm AEST on Thursday, 8th August. It was cloudy but we were able to see it for a few minutes before clouds covered the moon. Eid-ul-Fitr will be on Friday 9th August.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina:
- Not Seen: Abdulah Shabar (MCW member) from Visoko reported:
On Thursday, Aug 08, 2010, I could not see the moon in Visoko Latitude 43° 59' 20.04"N,
Longitude 18° 10' 41.16"E , Bosnia and Herzegovina. Skies were clear. I tried to look from a high ground from 20:00pm to 20:30pm.
- Not Seen: Dr. Musa·Minhai (MCW member) from Linxia Gansu Province reported:
The cresent was not sighted on August 07 and 08 (Wensday and Thursday). Sky was clear. I and my son try to see the cresent from 20:10 to 20:30 (Beijing Time) after sunset on August 07 and 08, 2013. But we did not see it with eyes. Therefore, on August 07 2013, most muslim have completed 30 days of Ramadam, so August 8 is first day of Shawwal in China. But some Muslims decided that on August 09 (Friday) is first day of Shawwal.(completion 30 day)
- Fiji Islands:
- Seen: Fiji Island's Announcement: Click here
- Seen: Dr. Muhammad Hafiz (MCW member) from Rose Hall Town, Berbice, reported:
The Hilaal was easily observed after sunset by the members of the Rose Hall Town Masjid and myself on Thursday, 8th August, 2013. The majority of Muslims in Guyana will be celebrating Eid ul Fitir on Friday, 9th August, 2013. Please archive sighting and Eid date report accordingly.
- Not Seen: Dr. Syed Liyaquatullah Quadri (MCW member) from Parbhani reported:
The crescent sightings were reported all over here in south-west India today on 08-08-2013 evening and Eid-ul-fitre declared by respective Hilal committees in Maharashtra, andhra, karnataka, tanilnadu. on Friday 09-08-2013
- Seen: M. Siddik Nadvi (MCW member) from Ahmedabad, Gujrat reported:
Today Monday 8th Augaust, 2013 = 29 Ramadan. 1434, we tried to see the crescent of Ramadan 1434 Hijri at our Institute JAMIA KANZUL ULOOM at 7.30 pm. The crescent was seen.and Official announcement is done by Gujarat Chand Committee that 9th August is 1st Shawal
- Not Seen: Yusuf Idara (MCW member) from New Delhi reported:
Today Thursday 08, August 2013 = 29 Ramadan 1434 Hijri. I Yusuf Idara try to sight the Moon of The Month of Shawwal 1434 Hijri, at New Delhi, from 07:40 pm to 07:30 pm horizon too cloudy so the moon was not sighted.
- Seen: Mohammed Zafar (MCW member) from Chitradurga, Karnataka reported:
I and two others have seen the crescent of the new moon at around 7.05pm AEST on Thursday, 8th August. It was cloudy but we were able to see it for a few minutes before clouds covered the moon. Eid-ul-Fitr will be on Friday 9th August.
- Not Seen: but Seen at other locations: M. M. Surajwala (MCW member) from Bharuch, Gujrat reported:
On Thursday, August 8, 2013 (29th Ramadan, 1434 AH), we could not see the moon in Bharuch, India. Skies were Cloudy. I tried to look from 6:55pm to 7:45pm. But our central moon committee situated at Ahmedabad official announcement moon was sighting at near Ahmedabad and declare Idd on Friday. August 9, 2013. Official announcement at http://www.gujchand.com/
- Not Seen: but Seen at other locations: Molvi Iqbalhusen Bokda (MCW member) from Godhra, Gujrat reported:
Weather was cloudy here in Godhra, but Eid declared on witness of 3 persons. While Moon committee, Ahmedabad declared that Eid will be on Friday.
Before this, Crescent committees of Patna, Hyderabad, Banglore, Kolkata, Asam and other committees declared on the base of general sighting that Eid will be on Friday. Thus almost all states of India are to celbrate Eidul Fitr on Friday, 9th August.
- Seen: Mohammed Mohsin Khan (MCW member) from Mumbai reported:
Today Thursday 08 August 2013 / 29 Ramadan 1434 in most parts of India. here in Mumbai sunset was at 07:11 L.T and moonset was at 07:59 L.T, Lag : 48 mins, Altitude : 10.24, Phase : 2.85, Moon Age : 39 hrs 50 mins. Sky was heavily cloudy but the crescent has been sighted in Mumbai and in most parts of India . Moon-sighting committee have officially announced that Thursday 08 August 2012 was 29th Ramadan 1434 and 1st Shawwaal 1434 will fall on Friday 9th August 2013. So Alhamdulillah this time in India there is no dispute over Eid and Eid-ul-Fitr will be celebrated on Friday 9th August 2013.
- Seen: AR Sugeng Riyadi (MCW member) from my personal Observatory, Bendo Ketitang Juwiring Klaten, Central Java reported:
The new shawwal 1434 AH crescent was SEEN on Thursday, August 8, 2013.
- Eid on Friday: Mahmoud Ansari reported:
In Iran, the Eid will be marked on Friday, with people expected to turn out en masse across the nation for communal prayers shortly after sunrise. The Eid al-Fitr prayers in Tehran will be led by Ayatollah Khamenei, followed by two sermons.
- Seen: Neria Haroeh (MCW member) from Ramlah reported:
I saw the new moon from Matsliach, Israel at 19:49 local time on August 8.
- Seen: Dr. Hadi Jaafar (MCW member) reported:
It is my pleasure tonight Thursday the 8th of August 2013 to report a successful sighting of the wonderul Shawwal's Crescent.
I started scanning the hazy western horizon at around 7:20 PM local time (local sunset at 7:30 PM) with my 7*50 pair of binoculars. The first aided sighting was at 7:29 at a magnetic azimuth of 277 degrees. The moon appeared very thin with horns between 1 and 5. I was able to faintly sight it with the naked eye three times starting 7:36, 7:40 and 7:45 PM. Local temperature 30 degrees centigrade, Rel humidity 70%, Wind speed 13 km/hr. I am attaching one of the many pictures that I took ( only 3 or 4 show the moon).
- Seen: Rizwan Shah (MCW member) from Gujrat reported:
Today 8 augest 2013 (29 Ramzan), just after sunset all my friends go at sigting place sunet at gujrat 6:56 pm and moonset is 7:34 and we saw a moon for very short time. I think just for 4 min and then moon vanished in the sky
- Not Seen: but Seen at other locations: Asif Hussain (MCW member) from Hyderabad reported:
On Thursday 8th August 2013, 29th Ramadhan 1434 hijrah, the crescent of shawwal was not seen in city due to cloudy weather. But seen successfully in other cities of country, as announced by national moon sighting committee. Therefore the 1st of shawwal 1434 hijrah will be on Friday 9th august 2013.
- 30 days completed: Hamza Rijal (MCW member) from Tiny Island of Zanzibar reported:
We have completed 30 days for Ramadhan in tiny Island of Zanzibar Insha-Allah tomorow friday 9th August 2013, it will be the first day of Shawal 1434 AH.
- Seen: Khalil Homafar (MCW member) from Houston TX reported:
Saw the very thin moon in Houston, Texas in clear sky by 8:18pm, on Thursday August 8th 2013
The orientation of the Crescent was from a little over 12 O'clock to 7 O'clock
I saw the hilal along with our group. Needs to mention that on Wednesday August 7th 2013 it was the same weather situation and sky was
very clear but there was no crescent on Wednesday. Friday is 1st of Sawal
- Seen: Mirza Shahid Basravi (MCW member) from Irvine CA reported:
Mirza Shahid Basravi, reported from Irvine, California, USA: I was able to site the Crescent in Irvine, California, before sunset, on Thursday August 8, 2013, for Shawwal 1434 Hijri, I was able to sight the Crescent quite easily at 7:29 pm, first with my 7 x 35 binoculars, and then immediately with just me regular glasses. Sunset in Irvine, California was at 7:44 pm. I have attached photo taken with 12x zoom at 8:02 pm.
1st Day of Shawwal in Different Countries
Wednesday, 7 August 2013:
- India (Only Hijri Committee of India - Calicut/Kozhikode, in Kerala - Birth of moon)
- Indonesia (South Sulawesi (Celebes) of Indonesia, a considerably large community)
- Niger (Local Erroneous Sighting)
Thursday, 8 August 2013:
- Afghanistan (Follow Saudi)
- Albania (Follow Turkey)
- Algeria (Calculations)
- Armenia (Follow Saudi)
- Austria (Follow Saudi)
- Azerbaijan (Follow Saudi)
- Bahrian (Follow Saudi)
- Bangladesh (Some areas follow Saudi)
- Belgium (Follow Saudi)
- Bolivia (Follow Saudi)
- Bosnia and Hercegovina (Follow Turkey)
- Bulgaria (Follow Saudi)
- Canada (FCNA/ISNA - Fiqh Council of North America/Islamic Society of North America)
- Chechnia (Follow Saudi)
- Chile (Local Sighting)
- China (Following MeccaCalendar.org)
- Croatia (Follow Turkey)
- Denmark (Follow Saudi)
- Egypt - Moon Born before sunset & moon sets at least 5 minutes after sunset
- Finland (Follow Saudi)
- France (CFCM - Conseil Français du Culte Musulman) Altitude > 5°, elongation > 8° [www.lecfcm.fr/?p=3314]
- Georgia (Follow Saudi)
- Hungary (Follow Saudi)
- Iceland (Some Follow Saudi)
- Ireland (ECFR - European Council for Fatwa and Research, Dublin, Ireland: Altitude > 5°, elongation > 8° somehwre on the globe)
- Iraq (Sunni Follow Saudi)
- Ireland (Follow Saudi)
- Italy (Follow Saudi)
- Indonesia (Some groups follow calculations) Age > 8 hours, altitude > 2°, elongation > 3°
- Jordan (Follow Saudi)
- Kazakhstan (Follow Saudi)
- Kosovo (Follow Turkey)
- Kuwait (Follow Saudi)
- Kyrgizstan (Follow Saudi)
- Lebanon (Sayyed Muhammad Hussein Fadlullah's Announcement)
- Lebanon (Some Follow Saudi)
- Libya (Calculations - moonset after sunset by a reasonable time)
- Luxembourg (Some Follow Saudi)
- Luxembourg (ECFR - European Council for Fatwa and Research, Dublin, Ireland: Altitude > 5°, elongation > 8° somehwre on the globe)
- Macedonia (Follow Turkey)
- Malaysia (Some follow Calculation - Elongation > 3° or Alt. > 2° or Age > 8 hours)
- Mauritania (Follow Saudi)
- Montenegro (Follow Turkey)
- Netherlands (Follow Saudi)
- Norway (Some follow Saudi)
- Palestine (Follow Saudi)
- Philippines (Follow Saudi)
- Poland (Calculation)
- Qatar (Follow Saudi)
- Russia (Follow Turkey)
- Romania (Follow Saudi)
- Saudi Arabia (Local Sighting - Official Announcement)
- Serbia (Follow Turkey)
- Slovenia (Follow Turkey)
- Somalia (Local Sighting or follow Saudi)
- Spain (Follow Saudi)
- Sudan (Follow Saudi)
- Sweden (Follow Saudi)
- Switzerland (Follow Saudi)
- Syria (Follow Saudi)
- Taiwan (Follow Saudi)
- Tajikistan (Follow Saudi)
- Tatarstan (Follow Saudi)
- Tunisia (Criteria of age, or altitude, or sunset-moonset lag)
- Turkey (Calculations: Altitude > 5°, elongation > 8°)
- Turkmenistan (Follow Saudi)
- U.A.E. (Follow Saudi)
- UK (Follow Saudi) [Coordination Committee of Major Islamic Centres and Mosques of London]
- USA - Fiqh Council of North America/Islamic Society of North America. The criteria are Moon must be born before Sunset in Makkah, and moonset after sunset in Makkah. These criteria are not applicable for Eid-al-Adha, for which it is relied on Saudi Announcement of Hajj.
- USA (Local Sighting) [Shi'aa Community, Houston Hilal Committee, Chicago Hilal Committee]
- Uzbekistan (Follow Saudi)
- Yemen (Follow Saudi)
Friday, 9 August 2013:
Back to Top
- Australia (30 days completion)
- Bangladesh (One group - Local Sighting)
- Barbados (30 days completion)
- Canada (Both major Ayatollahs: Al-Khoei Office New York and Al-Sistani Follower Toronto Shia Jamaat)
- China (Some follow 30 days completion)
- Fiji Islands (Local Sighting)
- Guyana (Local Sighting)
- India (Local Sighting)
- Indonesia (Some follow 30 days completion)
- Iran (Local Sighting)
- Iraq (Shi'aa Follow Annponcemant by Shi'aa Clergy)
- Kenya (30 days completion)
- Madagascer (Local Sighting)
- Malawi (Local Sighting)
- Malaysia (Some follow 30 days completion)
- Mauritius (30 days completion)
- Morocco (30 days completion)
- Mozambique (Local Sighting)
- Namibia (30 days completion)
- New Zealand (Local Sighting)
- Oman (30 days completion)
- Pakistan (Local Sighting)
- Senegal (30 days completion)
- South Africa (30 days completion)
- Sri Lanka (30 days completion)
- Suriname (30 days completion)
- Tanzania (30 days completion)
- Trinidad & Tobago (Local Sighting)
- UK (30 days completion) [Wifaaqul ulama), (Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat], OR (Sighting from countries east of UK)
- USA (Both major Ayatollahs: Al-Khoei Office New York and Al-Sistani Follower Toronto Shia Jamaat)
- Zambia (Local Sighting)
- Zimbabwe (30 days completion)